In this thought-provoking episode, I dive into a topic that has the potential to transform lives and the world around us: acts of kindness. Join me as we journey through the science, stories, benefits, and strategies behind the profound influence of kindness on our lives.
Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, releasing on February 6, 2024.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@John_R_Miles) takes your comments and questions for Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want him to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
7 Ways Acts of Kindness Enriches Your Life and the Lives of Others
Remember those moments when a simple act of goodness lit up your day? This episode is all about the science, stories, and strategies behind acts of kindness – how it’s hardwired into our DNA, the incredible benefits it brings, and practical steps to infuse your life with its magic.
Discover how simple acts of kindness can unlock happiness, bolster well-being, and nurture personal growth. Dive into the neurological wonders as we explore how acts of kindness reduce stress, ignite the brain’s pleasure centers, and potentially extend our lifespans.
Uncover the seven keys to infusing your life with the magic of kindness and learn how to transform knowledge into action. Take the reins in creating a world that’s not only better but also happier by embracing the power of kindness.
Kindness isn’t merely a virtue; it’s a catalyst for sweeping positive changes. Whether you seek to boost motivation, enrich relationships, or inspire others, this episode is essential viewing. Join our movement to make the world a gentler, more joyful place—one act of kindness at a time. Don’t forget to subscribe, like, and share to be part of this transformative journey. Together, we’ll spread the spirit of kindness and create a brighter world for all.
Get ready to be inspired, uplifted, and equipped to embark on a journey of compassion and positive change. Tune in, and let’s uncover the true potential of the kindness effect.
In this episode, you will discover the following takeaways:
- Kindness is not just a gesture; it’s a powerful force that can create lasting positive impacts.
- Our innate predisposition for kindness is wired into our neural circuitry, driven by the oxytocin system.
- While the desire to perform acts of kindness is natural, it requires continuous learning and effort to overcome our inclinations toward unkindness.
- Kindness requires courage – the courage to be open, vulnerable, and sincere in our intentions.
- Acts of kindness trigger the release of oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins, resulting in improved mood, reduced stress, and enhanced well-being.
- Kindness has a ripple effect that extends beyond the immediate recipient, contributing to stronger relationships and interconnected communities.
- Living a life of kindness involves self-compassion, empathy, forgiveness, mindfulness, and embracing small acts that create profound impacts.
- Performing acts of kindness isn’t just a philosophy; it’s a way of life that can make the world a better place for everyone.
- And much, much more!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]!
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more.
Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
Thank You, Netsuite, For Sponsoring
NetSuite is the leading integrated cloud business software suite, including business accounting, ERP, CRM and e-commerce software. Right now, download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance – absolutely free, at NetSuite.com/PassionStruck.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal mastery.
Compassion Unveiled: The Science and Magic Behind Acts of Kindness
The science behind acts of kindness is a fascinating area of research that delves into the psychological, neurological, and physiological effects of being kind to others and receiving kindness. Here are some key aspects of the science behind acts of kindness:
- Neurotransmitters and Brain Chemistry: Acts of kindness have been linked to the release of various neurochemicals in the brain, including oxytocin, serotonin, and dopamine. Oxytocin, often referred to as the “love hormone” or “bonding hormone,” is released when we engage in social bonding and acts of kindness. It plays a role in trust, empathy, and social connection. Serotonin, known as the “feel-good” neurotransmitter, is also released during acts of kindness, contributing to improved mood and well-being. Dopamine, associated with pleasure and reward, reinforces the positive feelings associated with being kind.
- Stress Reduction: Engaging in acts of kindness has been shown to reduce stress. The release of oxytocin during acts of kindness can help lower cortisol levels, which is the body’s primary stress hormone. This reduction in stress can have a cascading effect on overall health and well-being.
- Improved Emotional Health: Acts of kindness are associated with increased feelings of happiness and life satisfaction. Engaging in kind acts triggers positive emotions, fosters a sense of purpose, and reduces feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Physical Health Benefits: Research suggests that kindness may have physical health benefits. Acts of kindness have been linked to lower blood pressure, improved heart health, and a stronger immune system. This could be due in part to the stress-reducing and mood-enhancing effects of kindness.
- Social Connection: Kindness strengthens social bonds and relationships. Engaging in acts of kindness can enhance our sense of social connectedness and lead to more positive and supportive relationships with others. This sense of connection is crucial for overall well-being.
- Longevity: Some studies have suggested that engaging in acts of kindness may be associated with increased longevity. The combination of reduced stress, improved emotional health, and better social connections can contribute to a longer, healthier life.
- Positive Feedback Loop: Acts of kindness can create a positive feedback loop. When we are kind to others, we often receive kindness in return. This reciprocity reinforces our own sense of well-being and encourages further acts of kindness.
- Cognitive Benefits: Kindness can also have cognitive benefits. Engaging in pro-social behaviors, such as helping others or volunteering, has been linked to improved cognitive function and a reduced risk of cognitive decline in older adults.
In summary, the science behind acts of kindness demonstrates that kindness is not only a moral virtue but also a powerful force that positively impacts our physical and mental health. Engaging in acts of kindness can lead to improved well-being, reduced stress, stronger social connections, and potentially even a longer, happier life.
Resources From The Show On The Problem With Living In The Present
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Transcript from the episode: https://johnrmiles.com/7-ways-random-acts-of-kindness-enrich-your-life/
Here are some recommended resources:
- “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” by Eckhart Tolle
- “Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living” by Shauna Niequist
- “The Science of Kindness” by Dacher Keltner and Emiliana Simon-Thomas in Greater Good Magazine.
- “Oxytocin, Motivation and the Role of Dopamine” by Kerstin Uvnäs-Moberg in Psychopharmacology.
- “The Compassionate Mind” by Paul Gilbert, which explores the psychology of compassion and kindness.
- “Born to Be Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life” by Dacher Keltner.
- Check out Dr. Jud Brewer’s episode on rewiring habits to break the shackles of anxiety.
- Tune in for my interview with legendary cinematographer Louie Schwartzberg where we discuss his new file “Gratitude Revealed.”
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates on new episodes, guest interviews, and exclusive content designed to help you become the best version of yourself.
- Follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to join our passionate community and stay connected with like-minded individuals seeking personal growth and inspiration.
- Share this episode with your friends, family, and colleagues who could benefit from learning how to ask for what they want and need in life. Spread the power of asking and help others unlock their potential.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, to let us know how this episode resonated with you and to help others
My interview with Dr. Will Cole: https://passionstruck.com/dr-will-cole-gut-feelings-connection/
- Episode 256 on Unleash Your Creativity: The Benefits of Creative Expression
- Episode 145 on why your micro choices determine your life
- Episode 102 on how your environment influences who you become.
- Episode 193 on the importance of changing your perception
- Episode 139 on how you become what you think about
- Episode 208 on the power of forgiveness.
- Episode 110 on strengthening your relationship with your best self
- Episode 133 on why accepting yourself is key
- Episode 142, on why to emotionally heal, you must feel
- Episode 124 on work-life balance
- Episode 108 on creating healthy habits
- Episode 118 on the importance of empathy
- Episode 220 on the power of gratitude
- Episode 148 on why life is about the journey and not just the destination
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is globally recognized as an expert in intentional behavior change, leadership, personal mastery, and veteran advocacy. He founded and serves as CEO of PASSION STRUCK®, a media company that boasts a significant social media following and tens of millions of annual views on its podcasts and YouTube channels. His podcast, Passion Struck with John R. Miles, sets records and has held the top spot among alternative health podcasts on iTunes. Furthermore, John is the author of the upcoming book “Passion Struck,” which is set to be published in early 2024.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to better, live better, and impact the world.
Passion Struck is now on the Brushwood Media Network every Monday and Friday from 5-6 PM.
Step 1: Go to TuneIn, Apple Music (or any other app, mobile or computer)
Step 2: Search for “Brushwood Media” Network
Passion Struck’s mission is to unlock the power of intentionality for the benefit of us all. To create a world where we live better, be better, and impact the world through our unique and powerful content.