President Barack Obama said, “The biggest problem we have in our society and the world right now is a lack of empathy. We are in great need of people being able to stand in somebody else’s shoes and see the world through their eyes.”
The empathy deficit that President Obama alludes to is only growing more expansive as we continually become a society consumed by self-gratitude instead of focusing on ending the suffering of others. That’s why it’s so important we work at being empathetic. Luckily, we can.
The importance of empathy cannot be understated. Empathy is a cornerstone for successful relationships, but it is a quality that has to be intentional. Most people like to feel understood, but the mark of maturity is in knowing how to demonstrate understanding. In the end, the knowledge you wish to receive becomes more likely essential adjustments that will help you become a more empathetic person and live intentionally.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@john_r_miles) takes your requests for topics on Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected] Let’s dive in!
In This Week’s Episode, John R. Miles Explores the Importance of Empathy in Your Life
- I use the story of Lawrence Smith to illustrate what does it mean to be empathetic.
- I examine the empathy definition and meaning.
- I discuss the neuroscience behind empathy and why we have an empathy deficit.
- I explore if empathy something that can be learned or something that we are born with?
- I go into the importance of empathy by providing nine suggestions.
- I lay out eight ways you can become more empathetic.
- I explain how is empathy given without getting overwhelmed.
- I go into how you can apply this lesson and how someone can overcome a lack of empathy.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John R Miles on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us so we can thank you personally.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals
- GREEN CHEF: Go to https://greenchef.com/passionstruck130 and use code passionstruck130 to get $130 off, plus free shipping!”
- TEN THOUSAND: Go to https://tenthousand.cc and get 15% off with code PASSIONSTRUCK.
- Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
- 0:00 Introducing empathy
- 2:23 Ten Thousand and Green Chef
- 5:31 What does it mean to be empathetic?
- 8:21 Empathy definition and meaning.
- 9:24 Is empathy something that can be learned or something that we are born with?
- 11:51 What is the importance of empathy and how to we overcome the empathy deficit?
- 12:54 Is empathy a natural habit and what can I do to overcome a lack of empathy?
- 14:50 How is empathy given without getting overwhelmed?
- 15:36 How do you practice empathy?
- 17:00 Synthesis and conclusion
RESOURCES FROM THE SHOW ON THE IMPORTANCE OF EMPATHY
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- Bittersweet by Susan Cain
- The Compassionate Instinct by Dacher Keltner, Jason Marsh, and Jeremy Smith
- Be Beautiful, Be You by Lizzie Velasquez
- The Healthy Mind Toolkit by Alice Boyes
- Stress-Free Productivity by Alice Boyes
- Are you having trouble prioritizing yourself? John discusses where you invest your love; you invest your life in Episode 104
- John explains how your environment influences who you become in episode 102.
- Do you know the science of healthy habits? John explores this in-depth in Episode 108.
- Suppose you missed our interview with Jen Bricker-Bauer on Everything is Possible. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
- Were you able to listen to my discussion with Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet USN (ret) on leading in turbulent times?
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content.
John is also a prolific public speaker, author, and was named to the ComputerWorld Premier 100 IT Leaders. John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast, a show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s highest achievers to learn thJohn’sssons to living intentionally.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact. Stay tuned for John’s latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* About: https://johnrmiles.com/my-story/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMiles
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck