Are you ready to break free from anxiety’s grip and pave your way to a life of resilience and purpose? Join us in this captivating episode of Passion Struck, where host John R. Miles dives deep into the labyrinth of the human mind alongside the brilliant Dr. Jud Brewer, Head of Behavioral Health at Sharecare and the author of “Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind.“
Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, which will be released on February 6, 2024.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@John_R_Miles) takes your comments and questions for Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want him to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
Dr. Jud Brewer’s Method: Breaking the Cycle of Anxiety-Driven Behaviors
In this episode of the Passion Struck podcast, Dr. Jud Brewer joins host John R. Miles to delve into the topic of breaking the cycle of anxiety-driven behaviors. Dr. Brewer, a renowned psychiatrist and addiction psychiatrist, brings his expertise and research to the conversation. He shares how anxiety can be driven by negative reinforcement and habitual behaviors, shedding light on the impact of worrying and stress eating on anxiety levels.
Dr. Brewer introduces his app, Unwinding Anxiety, which has proven to be highly effective in reducing anxiety, surpassing traditional clinical care. He emphasizes the role of daily choices in breaking free from anxiety and empowers listeners with practical strategies to manage anxiety effectively. The episode provides a fresh perspective on anxiety treatment and offers valuable insights for individuals struggling with anxiety and looking for alternative approaches to regain control of their lives.
In this episode, you will discover how to:
- Learn about the direct correlation between mindfulness and behavior change, and how it paves the path towards personal growth.
- Gain insight into anxiety-driven patterns that disrupt normal routine, and techniques to disengage from such cycles.
- Recognize the manifold faces of anxiety disorders, fostering a deeper understanding and empathy towards sufferers.
- Comprehend how the information deluge can exacerbate anxiety, and the necessity of unplugging for mental health.
- Embrace the practice of mindfulness and its essential role in anxiety abatement.
- And much, much more!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]!
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more.
Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
Thank You, Netsuite, For Sponsoring
NetSuite is the leading integrated cloud business software suite, including business accounting, ERP, CRM and e-commerce software. Right now, download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance – absolutely free, at NetSuite.com/PassionStruck.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal mastery.
More From Our Guest, Dr. Jud Brewer, on How to Unwind from the Shackles of Anxiety
As an ambitious young man, Dr. Jud Brewer found himself captivated by the intricacies of chemistry and the intriguing world of molecules. He was fascinated by how distinct molecules could influence our senses and thoughts. Enamored by the fundamental science, he thought about pursuing a PhD in chemistry. However, realizing that scientific discovery didn’t always translate instantly into helping people, he sought a more direct path to impact lives. As if on cue, his then-girlfriend introduced him to the MDPhD program – a chance to conduct medically relevant research and simultaneously train to be a physician. Dr. Brewer made the switch and embarked on this new journey.
Around the same time, he began meditating, finding solace amid the stress of a breakup and the demands of medical school. Little did he know his interest in understanding the human mind and his personal meditation practice would converge, shaping his future career trajectory. During his MDPhD program, Dr. Jud Brewer began to draw parallels between his meditation training and his growing understanding of the human mind. Initially, he never imagined becoming a psychiatrist. Yet, the more he delved into psychiatry, the more he appreciated its relevance to mind training. He was intrigued by how habits formed, how they influenced behavior, and how they could be altered.
This keen interest resulted in a shift from basic science research to studying neuroscience and exploring pragmatic ways to help people train their own minds. In time, Dr. Brewer found his calling in psychiatry. As he navigated this unexpected path, he discovered the powerful impact mindfulness could have on breaking unhealthy habits. Bringing mindfulness into his practice proved to be transformative, offering a fresh perspective on treating disorders such as overeating and smoking, and even dealing with anxiety. This was a turning point, forever altering not just his career, but also the lives of countless patients he would help in years to come.
Mindfulness and Conscious Choices
Finding a more peaceful, anxiety-free life is as much about the choices we make as the habits we form. Therefore, it is critical to break destructive habits and make more mindful and conscious decisions. Sit up, straighten up, and focus on the present. Often, Dr. Jud Brewer found in his experience we make choices out of habit rather than intent. During our chat, he emphasized the need for individuals to step back and reflect – to realize how each choice could either feed or starve our anxiety. He said that we need to become active participants in our decisions, consciously choosing healthier ways of thinking and reacting.
Daily Choices and Breaking Free from Anxiety
Living a less anxious life doesn’t require monumental changes overnight. Sometimes, it is the small, daily choices we make that enable us to slowly break free from the chains of anxiety and welcome more calming experiences. This is at the heart of Dr. Jud Brewer’s podcast discussion. He expressed the importance of simple, day-to-day choices in managing and ultimately conquering anxiety. Every decision we make can either trap us in a vicious loop or set us on a path to an anxiety-free life. As per Dr. Brewer, slow, small, yet focused steps toward mindful choices are the way to bust these stress cycles for good.
Say Thanks To Dr. Jud Brewer
If you enjoyed this interview with Dr. Jud Brewer, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected].
Resources From The Show With Dr. Jud Brewer
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- Visit Dr. Jud Brewer’s website to learn more about his work as a thought leader, New York Times bestselling author, psychiatrist, and doctor.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dr.jud/
- Check out Dr. Jud Brewer’s best-selling book, Unwinding Anxiety, for a blueprint to map your brain’s triggers and diffuse them through the power of curiosity.
- Download the free Habit Mapper PDF to learn how habits are formed and how you can change them yourself by mapping them out, step by step — whether they’re around anxious thoughts, eating, or other unwanted behaviors.
- Download the Unwinding Anxiety app to access tools and techniques to reduce anxiety. Experience a 67% reduction in anxiety with this evidence-based app.
- Discover Dr. Jud Brewer’s research-backed app, Craving to Quit, designed to help you quit smoking. Experience five times the quit rates of gold standard treatment by bringing your smoking habit into conscious awareness.
- Learn more about the power of mindfulness in behavior change. Dive into the research paper by Dr. Jud Brewer and David Vago, exploring the impact of mindfulness on behavior change.
- Gain insights into the connection between mindfulness and our conscious and subconscious mind. Understand how mindfulness can help us make conscious choices and break free from unconscious habits.
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates on new episodes, guest interviews, and exclusive content designed to help you become the best version of yourself.
- Follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to join our passionate community and stay connected with like-minded individuals seeking personal growth and inspiration.
- Share this episode with your friends, family, and colleagues who could benefit from learning how to ask for what they want and need in life. Spread the power of asking and helping others unlock their potential.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, to let us know how this episode resonated with you and to help others
Catch my interview with Dr. Caroline Leaf on Parenting or a Healthy and Confident Mind.
About Today’s Guest, Dr. Jud Brewer
Dr. Jud Brewer, our remarkable guest, has dedicated his life to the study of our mind and its intriguing intricacies. A leading expert in the field of psychiatry, he brings over two decades of experience fueled by his passion to help those struggling with anxiety. As an associate professor and director of both Research and Innovation at Brown University’s Mindfulness Center and the executive Medical Director of Behavioral Health at Sharecare, he is no stranger to the intricacies of our minds and the power they hold. Blessed with curiosity and profound understanding, he shares an innovative approach to address anxiety, backed by his bestselling book, Unwinding Anxiety.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to better, live better, and impact the world.
Passion Struck is now on the Brushwood Media Network every Monday and Friday from 5-6 PM.
Step 1: Go to TuneIn, Apple Music (or any other app, mobile or computer)
Step 2: Search for “Brushwood Media” Network
Passion Struck’s mission is to unlock the power of intentionality for the benefit of us all. To create a world where we live better, be better, and impact the world through our unique and powerful content.