In this episode, John R. Miles dives deep into the science behind how your environment influences so much of your success not only in your career but also your health, relationships, and spirituality.
Our environment continually influences our lives, decision-making process, and how we interact with the world around us. In psychology, there is an idea known as ‘the social multiplier effect’ based on the principle that high levels of one attribute or behavior amongst one’s peers can have spillover effects on an individual. John dives deep into that concept and provides examples of how it changed the course of history.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@john_r_miles) takes your requests for topics on Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
On This Week’s Passion Struck Podcast, John R. Miles Discusses How Your Environment Influences Who You Become And The Social Multiplier Effect Impact.
- Why the social evolution of man continues to foster a longing for co-existence and how we are influenced by others.
- How the social multiplier effect influences different attributes and characteritcs of our environment and our inherent adoption of them.
- An example of how the social multiplier effect can impact personal performance through the example of the runner Roger Bannister.
- The neurscientific discovery of mirror neurons and how operate to bring about Emotional Contagion.
- Why we learn through imitation and how our environment is induced by automatic imitation.
- How to use this information to become a force for positive influence.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John R Miles on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Have You Tried BetterHELP?
BetterHELP is making professional therapy accessible, affordable, and convenient — so anyone who struggles with life’s challenges can get help anytime and anywhere. BetterHELP offers licensed, trained, experienced, and accredited psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and board licensed professional counselors. BetterHELP wants you to start living a happier life AND is offering Passion Struck listeners 10% off your first month by visiting www.betterhelp.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
4x4x48 Challenge In Support Of Special Forces And Veteran Non-Profits
We have an exciting and important announcement. I was asked by my friend, retired Green Beret Andrew Marr, and his brother Adam Marr (Army Apache Pilot) to sponsor, fundraise, and participate in this year’s 4x4x48 challenge. This challenge is a cause near and dear to my heart as I am one of the veterans that these organizations have helped overcome my struggles with mental health and the long-term impact of Traumatic Brain Injury. If you are interested in supporting our efforts, please go to: https://give.warriorangelsfoundation.org/team/400731.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:04 4x4x48 Challenge
- 2:35 BetterHELP
- 4:19 Social Evolution of Man
- 5:45 Social Multiplier Effect
- 7:17 Social Multiplier Effect on Personal Performance
- 11:05 Mirror Neurons
- 13:24 Learning Through Imitation: Automatic Imitation
- 14:44 The Things We do Influences Who We Become
- 15:46 Becoming a Force for Positive Influence
RESOURCES FROM THE SHOW ON YOUR EVIRONMENT AND HOW IT IS INFLUENCED
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
*The High Price of Materialism by Tim Kasser
* The American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty by David G. Myers
* A Theory of Human Motivation by Abraham Maslow
Check out John’s past episode on stop being a visionary arsonist. Catch up with Episode 9.
Are you having trouble prioritizing your time? John discusses the I Don’t Have Time Syndrome in Episode 27.
Is the Hustle Culture is Making You Miserable? John explores this in-depth in Episode 70.
Suppose you missed our interview with Tuck Williams How to Keep Your Focus While Overcoming Adversity. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content.
John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, author, and has been named to the ComputerWorld Premier 100 IT Leaders. John is the host of the #PassionStruckPodcast, a show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s highest achievers to learn their lessons to living intentionally.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact. Stay tuned for John’s latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* About: https://johnrmiles.com/my-story/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMiles
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283