The problem with living in the present is as paradoxical as it is enticing, a puzzle many of us find ourselves wrestling with.
The phrase “live in the moment” rings with wisdom, yet its true essence remains enigmatic. What lies beneath this counsel’s surface?
To be fully present seems liberating, a refreshing escape from the constraints of time. Yet, this pursuit of now-ness isn’t without its complexities. It’s a tightrope walk, a dance that requires navigating the tension between seizing the present and safeguarding the future. But it’s not just about immersing oneself in the current instant; it’s also about weaving the threads of past recollections and future aspirations into this intricate tapestry. And therein lies the crux of the matter, a delicate juggling act that often leaves us puzzled.
Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, releasing on February 6, 2024.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@John_R_Miles) takes your comments and questions for Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want him to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
The Illusion of Chasing Now: The Problem with Living in the Present
“Seize the day,” they say. But what if our relentless pursuit of present-moment bliss blinds us to the potential chaos we’re sowing for our future selves? Step into a thought-provoking exploration of the paradoxes and challenges inherent in the modern mantra of ‘living in the present.’ Are we truly embracing the essence of life or setting ourselves up for unforeseen pitfalls?
The mantra of ‘live in the present’ resonates deeply in a fast-paced world, but is it truly a panacea for our well-being? In this episode, I delve into the paradox of present-moment awareness, revealing its potential downsides that often go unnoticed. I unravel how a singular focus on the ‘here and now’ can lead to unexpected stumbles and missed opportunities for future growth. Join us as we navigate the treacherous terrain of living too much ‘in the moment,’ shedding light on the psychological biases that govern our perceptions. Let’s explore the true art of balance, where past, present, and future coexist in harmony, enriching our lives with wisdom and foresight.
In this episode, you will discover the following takeaways:
- The deceptive allure of ‘living in the present’ and its unintended consequences.
- The delicate tightrope walk between embracing now-ness and neglecting the future.
- How immediate pleasure can blind us to the wisdom of long-term rewards.
- The role of natural negativity bias in reshaping our perceptions of reality.
- Strategies to break free from the illusion of the eternal present and find equilibrium in time.
- And much, much more!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]!
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more.
Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
Thank You, Netsuite, For Sponsoring
NetSuite is the leading integrated cloud business software suite, including business accounting, ERP, CRM, and e-commerce software. Right now, download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance – absolutely free, at NetSuite.com/PassionStruck.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal mastery.
Beyond the Mirage: Unmasking the Challenges of Living in the Present Moment
In a world that celebrates ‘living in the now,’ we explore the often misunderstood nuances of this concept. Is it possible that focusing solely on the present can lead to unforeseen pitfalls and neglecting our future aspirations? In this episode, we dive into the power and challenges of present-moment awareness, unraveling how it affects our decisions and perspectives.
The dangers of living in the present moment might appear to be an idyllic existence. Still, it’s essential to recognize that an overabundance of present-mindedness can be as detrimental as a lack thereof.
Impact on Psychological Well-being
When one becomes fixated solely on living in the present, disregarding future ambitions and past lessons, it ventures into a realm of imprudence. It is comparable to devouring an entire pizza in one sitting due to a ‘you only live once’ mentality or endlessly scrolling through social media, masquerading as a connection with reality.
This heightened preoccupation with living in the present can increase stress and anxiety. The individual becomes engulfed by each passing second, leaving no room for introspection or relaxation—both pivotal facets of mental well-being.
Maintaining a balanced presence while existing in the current moment necessitates a fusion of acknowledging emotions without permitting them to govern actions, setting essential boundaries, practicing deep breathing amid stress, and dedicating time to self-care pursuits like physical activity, meditation, or simply immersing oneself in nature.
To put it succinctly, embracing every splendid moment that life presents is crucial, but it’s imperative to retain an awareness of how these instances weave into your broader life narrative—encompassing past encounters and future aspirations.
Resources From The Show On The Problem with Living in the Present
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Transcript from the episode: https://johnrmiles.com/the-problem-with-living-in-the-present/
Here are some recommended resources:
- “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” by Eckhart Tolle
- “Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living” by Shauna Niequist
- Check out Rebecca Rosen’s episode on What is Heaven? to gain insight into fulfilling your unique mission in life.
- Discover the soulful art of persuasion with John Harris. Learn how to become a true artist in your own right. Available on Amazon and other major book retailers.
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates on new episodes, guest interviews, and exclusive content designed to help you become the best version of yourself.
- Follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to join our passionate community and stay connected with like-minded individuals seeking personal growth and inspiration.
- Share this episode with your friends, family, and colleagues who could benefit from learning how to ask for what they want and need in life. Spread the power of asking and help others unlock their potential.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, to let us know how this episode resonated with you and to help others
My interview with Dr. Will Cole: https://passionstruck.com/dr-will-cole-gut-feelings-connection/
- Episode 256 on Unleash Your Creativity: The Benefits of Creative Expression
- Episode 145 on why your micro choices determine your life
- Episode 102 on how your environment influences who you become.
- Episode 193 on the importance of changing your perception
- Episode 139 on how you become what you think about
- Episode 208 on the power of forgiveness.
- Episode 110 on strengthening your relationship with your best self
- Episode 133 on why accepting yourself is key
- Episode 142, on why to emotionally heal, you must feel
- Episode 124 on work-life balance
- Episode 108 on creating healthy habits
- Episode 118 on the importance of empathy
- Episode 220 on the power of gratitude
- Episode 148 on why life is about the journey and not just the destination
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is globally recognized as an expert in intentional behavior change, leadership, personal mastery, and veteran advocacy. He founded and serves as CEO of PASSION STRUCK®, a media company that boasts a significant social media following and tens of millions of annual views on its podcasts and YouTube channels. His podcast, Passion Struck with John R. Miles, sets records and has held the top spot among alternative health podcasts on iTunes. Furthermore, John is the author of the upcoming book “Passion Struck,” which is set to be published in early 2024.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to better, live better, and impact the world.
Passion Struck is now on the AMFM247 broadcasting network every Monday and Friday from 5-6 PM.
Step 1: Go to TuneIn, Apple Music (or any other app, mobile or computer)
Step 2: Search for “AMFM247” Network
Passion Struck’s mission is to unlock the power of intentionality for the benefit of us all. To create a world where we live better, be better, and impact the world through our unique and powerful content.