In this powerful episode of the Passion Struck podcast, host John R. Miles delves deep into the art of how you thrive through tough times with Intentional Action. Life’s challenges are inevitable, but how we respond to them can define our journey. Join us as we explore the inspiring story of Jason C. Redman, a former U.S. Navy SEAL who overcame severe injuries and adversity not just to survive but thrive.
Tough times are an unavoidable facet of life, shared by all. Your choices and mindset determine whether adversity breaks you or strengthens you. Embrace challenges as integral components of your journey of self-discovery and growth. Your choices during challenging moments chart the course of your life. Choose to cultivate positivity and resilience, not just to survive but to thrive.
Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, which will be released on February 6, 2024.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@John_R_Miles) takes your comments and questions for Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want him to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
Choose to Thrive Through Tough Times
In this episode, we delve into the art of how to thrive through tough times. Life is a journey filled with joy, sorrow, success, and failure, but inevitable trials and tribulations also punctuate it. Challenges come in various forms, from personal setbacks to health crises and complex relationships. However, within these challenges lies the crucible of growth and transformation. They are purposeful lessons and opportunities for us to learn, adapt, and evolve. Our shared experience of overcoming challenges binds us together in empathy and understanding.
Today, we focus on the importance of preparing ourselves both physically and mentally to navigate tough times effectively. I’ll explore practical steps that go beyond mere acknowledgment, offering actionable insights for thriving amidst adversity. To kick things off, we’ll share the inspiring journey of Jason Redman, a former U.S. Navy SEAL who not only endured but thrived despite severe injuries.
Lieutenant Jason Redman, a Navy leader, preferred agility and speed in combat. In 2007, during a mission targeting an al-Qaeda leader, he sustained eight gunshot wounds, leaving him near death. In the aftermath, doctors delivered grim assessments, including considerations for amputation. Surrounded by negativity, Jason made a choice—to rise above. He inscribed a powerful message in his hospital room, focusing on recovery, optimism, and rapid regrowth.
Jason Redman’s story exemplifies the human capacity to thrive during life’s most daunting moments. In this episode, we explore eight practical steps for thriving through tough times.
In this episode, you will discover the following takeaways:
- How to recognize and accept your reality
- Creating a mindset to overcome
- Evaluating your assets
- Keeping hope alive
- Being of help to others
- Taking care of yourself
- Maintaining gratitude
- Establishing a strong support network
- And much, much more!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]!
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more.
Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
Thank You, One Skin, For Sponsoring
Change how your skin ages with the help of OneSkin. All OneSkin Topical Supplements are formulated with OS-01, the first ingredient scientifically proven to reverse skin’s biological age at the molecular level. Use the code PASSIONSTRUCK to get 15% off your order.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal mastery.
The Psychological Foundations of Thriving in Tough Times.
Thriving through tough times involves a deep understanding of the psychology that underpins resilience and growth in the face of adversity. Here’s an exploration of the psychology of thriving during challenging moments:
1. Resilience and Adaptability: Resilience is at the core of thriving through tough times. It’s the psychological strength that enables individuals to bounce back from setbacks. An essential aspect of resilience is adaptability, the capacity to adjust and recalibrate when faced with unexpected challenges.
2. Positive Psychology: Positive psychology focuses on fostering positive emotions, strengths, and well-being. Practicing gratitude, optimism, and mindfulness can shift your perspective during tough times and enable you to see opportunities for growth and learning.
3. Cognitive Reframing: Cognitive reframing is a psychological technique that involves reinterpreting negative events in a more positive light. It helps individuals reframe setbacks as potential stepping stones to personal development and transformation.
4. Emotional Intelligence: Emotional intelligence encompasses the ability to recognize, understand, and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. During challenging times, emotional intelligence aids in navigating complex emotions, making sound decisions, and maintaining healthy relationships.
5. Self-efficacy: Self-efficacy is the belief in your ability to overcome challenges and achieve your goals. Cultivating a strong sense of self-efficacy empowers you to tackle tough times with confidence and determination.
6. Social Support and Connection: Humans are inherently social beings, and the support of friends and loved ones plays a crucial role in psychological well-being during adversity. The emotional connections and sense of belonging derived from social support are powerful motivators for thriving.
7. Post-Traumatic Growth: Post-traumatic growth is a psychological phenomenon where individuals experience personal growth and positive changes in the aftermath of trauma or adversity. This growth can manifest in various ways, including increased resilience, enhanced relationships, and a deeper appreciation for life.
Incorporating these psychological principles and practices into your life can significantly enhance your ability to not only endure tough times but also emerge from them stronger, wiser, and more resilient. Thriving psychologically during adversity is a dynamic process that requires self-awareness, emotional regulation, and a commitment to personal growth.
Resources From The Show On How to Thrive Through Tough Times
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Transcript from the episode: https://johnrmiles.com/how-to-handle-difficult-situations-in-life/
Here are some recommended resources:
- “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” by Angela Duckworth
- “The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life’s Hurdles” by Karen Reivich and Andrew Shatte
- Listen to my interview with Eduardo Briceno on creating a growth mindset.
- American Psychological Association (APA) – Resources on resilience and coping: apa.org
- Greater Good Magazine – Science-based articles on well-being and resilience: greatergood.berkeley.edu
- Psychology Today – Articles on mental health, resilience, and personal growth: psychologytoday.com
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates on new episodes, guest interviews, and exclusive content designed to help you become the best version of yourself.
- Follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to join our passionate community and stay connected with like-minded individuals seeking personal growth and inspiration.
- Share this episode with your friends, family, and colleagues who could benefit from learning how to ask for what they want and need in life. Spread the power of asking and help others unlock their potential.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, to let us know how this episode resonated with you and to help others
My interview with Dr. Will Cole: https://passionstruck.com/dr-will-cole-gut-feelings-connection/
- Episode 256 on Unleash Your Creativity: The Benefits of Creative Expression
- Episode 145 on why your micro choices determine your life
- Episode 102 on how your environment influences who you become.
- Episode 193 on the importance of changing your perception
- Episode 139 on how you become what you think about
- Episode 208 on the power of forgiveness.
- Episode 110 on strengthening your relationship with your best self
- Episode 133 on why accepting yourself is key
- Episode 142, on why to emotionally heal, you must feel
- Episode 124 on work-life balance
- Episode 108 on creating healthy habits
- Episode 118 on the importance of empathy
- Episode 220 on the power of gratitude
- Episode 148 on why life is about the journey and not just the destination
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is globally recognized as an expert in intentional behavior change, leadership, personal mastery, and veteran advocacy. He founded and serves as CEO of PASSION STRUCK®, a media company that boasts a significant social media following and tens of millions of annual views on its podcasts and YouTube channels. His podcast, Passion Struck with John R. Miles, sets records and has held the top spot among alternative health podcasts on iTunes. Furthermore, John is the author of the upcoming book “Passion Struck,” which is set to be published in early 2024.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to better, live better, and impact the world.
Passion Struck is now on the Brushwood Media Network every Monday and Friday from 5-6 PM.
Step 1: Go to TuneIn, Apple Music (or any other app, mobile or computer)
Step 2: Search for “Brushwood Media” Network
Passion Struck’s mission is to unlock the power of intentionality for the benefit of us all. To create a world where we live better, be better, and impact the world through our unique and powerful content.