In today’s episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles, I interview Colin O’Brady about his new book The 12-Hour Walk: Invest One Day, Conquer Your Mind, and Unlock Your Best Life. | Brought to you by Masterworks (https://www.masterworks.io/) promo code PASSION.
Colin O’Brady is a ten-time world record-breaking explorer, speaker, entrepreneur, and mindset expert. His feats include the world’s first solo, unsupported, and fully human-powered crossing of Antarctica, speed records for the Explorers Grand Slam and the Seven Summits, and the first human-powered ocean row across the Drake Passage. Millions have followed Colin’s highly publicized expeditions. He is the author of The New York Times bestseller The Impossible First.
* Purchase The 12-Hour Walk: https://amzn.to/3SoQu9e (Amazon Link)
* Purchase The Impossible First: https://amzn.to/3oTIBLq (Amazon Link)
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Monday and Wednesday, and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday solo message.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What I Discuss With Colin O’Brady About the 12-Hour Walk and Creating a Possible Mindset
In our interview, Colin O’Brady guides us on The 12-Hour Walk, where he asks you to invest one day in bettering yourself. The objective? Transforming your mindset and evolving into your best self. He discusses why through a solitary walk, unplugging from outside distractions, listening to your inner voice, and rewriting your self-limiting beliefs, you can develop a “Possible Mindset”—an empowered way of thinking that unlocks a life of limitless possibilities.
The reward: becoming the hero of your own future you.
- How being severely burned on a trip to Thailand helped define who Colin O’Brady is today.
- What went through his mind when the doctors told him he would never walk again?
- The importance of his mother on his journey to recovery.
- His path to becoming a multiple-time world-breaking explorer.
- The steps to finding Your Everest.
- How he came up with the idea for the 12-hour walk and its core tenants.
- How a 12-Hour Walk can transform your life and help you conquer your mind.
- What is a “possible mindset,” and how can it alter your life?
- Why is your whole life composed of the will within you?
- How do you develop the belief that anything is possible?
- The importance of the combination of grit and intentionality in pursuing your Everest.
- How our lives are really made through strategy by design.
- Surround yourself with the right environment to influence and support your dreams.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Masterworks, For Sponsoring.
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Masterworks, the first platform for buying and selling shares representing an investment in iconic artwork. Invest in Fractional Shares in Art Earn a Return when the Art Sells. Go to https://www.masterworks.io/ and use code PASSION.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Colin O’Brady About The 12-Hour Walk
During our interview, I discussed with Colin O’Brady how I found a quote from Schopenhauer, where he pens, “your whole life is composed of the will within you.” And it made me think of this possible mindset that you write about in the 12-hour Walk. I asked Colin, through that lens, what are some things a possible mindset allows you to do with this will that’s composed within yourself?
Colin O’Brady explains, “I fundamentally believe the most important muscle we have is the six inches between our ears-our minds. We can be physically strong. We can be physically weak, whatever. But that muscle is important to strengthen and cultivate. And that’s both a scary thought. But I think it’s mostly a positive thought that we all have the ability to shift our mindsets to strengthen our minds.
But sometimes we miss the most intuitive step, which is, we think, oh, I want bigger biceps. I want to get stronger. Well, I gotta go to the gym and lift weights. We know that, right? But we don’t think of our minds that way. That’s why I say the most important muscle we have (I say that word very intentionally) because you conjure this mindset. It’s not one I was born with. I wasn’t born with grit. I wasn’t born with resilience. I wasn’t born with passion. No, we are all born with the ability, like you said, to cultivate this will, this resilience, this possible mindset, but you actually have to do something to cultivate it.
And that’s why I’m so passionate about this book and this concept, the 12-hour Walk, because, at its core, I am sharing in a one-day prescription to take one day, turn your phone on airplane mode. It costs you nothing, walk out your front door and take a 12-hour walk. Now you’re probably thinking, Oh my God, that’s crazy. That’s ridiculous. I have to train forever for that. But, It’s not a physical challenge. Actually, I don’t care if you walk for one mile or you walk for 50 miles. I don’t care how many breaks you take. But the exercise is in training your mind.
It’s saying turn off your social media for a day, put your phone in airplane mode, don’t take podcasts or music or friend or your dog, and be alone with your thoughts for 12 hours in one day. And that’s so powerful because the origin story goes back to my time in Antarctica, walking across the continent alone. But what I realized is from anyone’s front door with no cost other than the time, it takes us 12 hours to commit to this.
I hope to inspire 10 million people to take this 12-hour walk. It’s a free thing. Anyone can do it anywhere in the world. But I’m passionate about it because it gives us the ability actually to make the change and make it quickly. I believe you can unlock your best life on the other side of it. There might be limiting beliefs popping up in your head. I’m guessing on the other side of this podcast interview; you’re saying, Well, I’d love to do that. But I’ve got a busy job. When would I ever find 12 hours? I don’t have the time for this.
I’ve got kids, I’ve got responsibilities, or I’m not in good physical shape enough for this, or I don’t like being uncomfortable. My feet might hurt at the end of this. But if you realize the loop your natural tendency to react to this, those limiting beliefs that you are assigning the 12-hour walk at this moment that you’re first hearing this are most likely the same limiting beliefs that you’re assigning to many other things in your life. The same limiting beliefs ultimately hold you back from unlocking your best life.
So the 12-hour walk is an exercise that is a challenge that takes one day. But it’s also a mirror. I’m holding up a mirror to you to look into and go. Where are these negative limiting beliefs coming up over and over and other elements in my life? But when you commit to the walk by saying, I’m actually going to be doing this by joining this global movement, 12-hour walk.com. You can sign up; it’s free. Anyone can do this. Anyone can participate from anywhere.
You suddenly take the momentum away from the limiting beliefs and go towards a possible mindset on the other side of this 12-hour walk. So ultimately, on the other side of that one day, I promise you the person you are on the other side, walking back in your front door, will be one that is full of a possible mindset rather than full of limiting beliefs.
Thanks, Colin O’Brady!
If you enjoyed this interview with Colin O’Brady, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram or Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
Resources From The Show With Colin O’Brady
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Website: https://www.colinobrady.com/
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/colinobrady/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/colinobrady/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/colinobrady
* My solo episode on Why Do We Fail to Take Responsibility for our Life: https://passionstruck.com/why-we-fail-to-take-responsibility-for-our-life/
* My interview with Air Force Veteran, Entrepreneur, and Speaker D.J. Vanas about unleashing the warrior within: https://passionstruck.com/dj-vanas-on-unleashing-your-warrior-within/
* My interview with screenwriter and director Abi Morgan on the power of Hope in our lives: https://passionstruck.com/abi-morgan-on-the-importance-of-hope/
* My interview with Kurt Wilkin on his new book Who’s Your Mike? We discuss the people you will encounter on your entrepreneurial journey: https://passionstruck.com/kurt-wilkin-on-whos-your-mike/
* My interview with Kara Robinson Chamberlain on how she escaped from a kidnapping by a serial killer: https://passionstruck.com/kara-robinson-chamberlain-be-vigilant/
* My interview with Jean Oelwang on the power of partnerships: https://passionstruck.com/jean-oelwang-what-will-you-love-into-being/
* My interview with Katy Milkman, Ph.D. on how to create lasting behavior change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
* My interview with Michael Slepian Ph.D.: https://passionstruck.com/michael-slepian-the-secret-life-of-secrets/
* My interview with Admiral Sandy Stosz on how to lead in unchartered waters: https://passionstruck.com/admiral-sandy-stosz-leader-with-moral-courage/
* My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
* My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guest Colin O’Brady
Colin O’Brady is a 10-time world record-breaking explorer and one of the world’s best endurance athletes. He isn’t your typical adventurer despite his unmatched athletic accomplishments, including a world-first solo crossing of Antarctica, a world-first ocean row across the Drake Passage (from South America to Antarctica), and summiting Mt. Everest twice. Colin is an expert on mindset, a highly sought-after keynote speaker, and a New York Times bestselling author.
He’s also a television host, an executive producer, and an entrepreneur who has built and sold companies. And he’s done it all after overcoming a devastating accident – that nearly left him unable to walk – to prove that anything is possible.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JJohn’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com