Nothing passes the time like a good spy thriller and Steven Konkoly is a master at creating books with action, and intrigue, and has an eye for plot intricacies. His books include Deep Sleep, The Jakarta Pandemic, Fractured State, and Hot Zone.
Steven Konkoly is the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and repeated #1 Amazon bestseller of over twenty thriller novels. Steven graduated from the United States Naval Academy and served the next eight years on active duty, traveling the world as a naval officer assigned to various Navy and Marine Corps units. His extensive journey spanned the globe, including a two-year tour of duty in Japan—and travel to more than twenty countries throughout Asia and the Middle East.
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Monday and Wednesday, and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday solo message.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us to thank you personally!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What I Discuss With Steven Konkoly
Steven Konkoly joins us to discuss his journey from Naval Officer to one of the top thriller authors in the world. Konkoly gives us some tips on his writing process which has helped him write so many bestsellers.
- Attending the Naval Academy and his favorite experiences.
- The Naval Academy electrical engineering cheating scandal.
- His path after graduating took him from Navy SEAL BUD/S training to his time on ships and working with the Marine Corps.
- How he discovered his purpose was to be a writer.
- The steps he took to make that dream become a reality.
- His tips for aspiring writers include some of his daily writing habits.
- How did he predict the COVID pandemic ten years prior?
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. To find your old favorites, you can also browse starter packs for existing listeners. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Steven Konkoly On Spy Thrillers, Action, and Intrigue
During our interview, I asked Steven Konkoly about how he predicted COVID ten years before it happened when he wrote his first novel the Jakarta Pandemic.
Konkoly explains, “You kind of see behind me the Jakarta pandemic was my first book and took from start to finish three years, and a lot of research into pandemics. I wanted to create a story just based on a normal neighborhood. There are no helicopter chases, there are no CDC scientists, hanging off the skin of a helicopter and dropping into a hot zone or anything like that.
It’s really just about a pharmaceutical rep. who was former military, and he’s kind of a little bit of an obsessed prepper. But I had kind of looked into how would you survive a pandemic, that’s, let’s say, like what we saw in New York City in March of 2020. Imagine if that just kept going. And that happens everywhere. And there was just no let-up, You could imagine a breakdown of society. And that’s, that’s really what takes place in the book.”
Thanks, Steven Konkoly!
If you enjoyed this interview with Steven Konkoly, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram or LinkedIn:
Click here to thank Steven Konkoly on LinkedIn!
Click here to thank Steven Konkoly on Instagram!
Click here to let John R. Miles know about your number one takeaway from this episode!
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
Resources From The Show With Steven Konkoly
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Website: https://stevenkonkoly.com/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.konkoly
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/author_steven_konkoly/
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenkonkoly/
* My interview with Admiral James Stavridis: https://passionstruck.com/admiral-james-stavridis-to-risk-it-all/
* My interview with Vice Admiral Ted Carter, President of the University of Nebraska: https://passionstruck.com/the-key-to-personal-growth-ted-carter/
* My interview with former NASA astronaut Captain Wendy Lawrence: https://passionstruck.com/how-to-dream-the-dream-you-want/
* My interview with Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet, the former Undersecretary of Transportation: https://passionstruck.com/tim-gallaudet-leading-in-turbulent-times/
* My interview with former Navy Seal and NASA Astronaut Captain Chris Cassidy: https://passionstruck.com/vital-importance-in-life-of-being-present/
* My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
* My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guest Steven Konkoly
Steven Konkoly graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1993, receiving a bachelor of science in English literature. He served the next eight years on active duty, traveling the world as a naval officer assigned to various Navy and Marine Corps units. His extensive journey spanned the globe, including a two-year tour of duty in Japan and travel to more than twenty countries throughout Asia and the Middle East.
From enforcing United Nations sanctions against Iraq as a maritime boarding officer in the Arabian Gulf to directing aircraft bombing runs and naval gunfire strikes as a Forward Air Controller (FAC) assigned to a specialized Marine Corps unit, Steven’s “in-house” experience with a wide range of regular and elite military units brings a unique authenticity to his thrillers.
He still wakes up at “zero dark thirty” to write for most of the day. When “off duty,” he spends as much time as possible outdoors or traveling with his family–and dog.
He is an active member of the International Thriller Writers (ITW) and Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) organizations.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. A show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for John’s latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.