The Honorable Tim Gallaudet (@gallaudettime), Ph.D., Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy (Ret), is the CEO of Ocean STL Consulting, LLC. Gallaudet served as the Acting Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere/NOAA Administrator and before that Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere/Deputy NOAA Administrator. Prior to NOAA, Admiral Gallaudet served for 32 years in the U.S. Navy, completing his career as the Oceanographer of the Navy. He was the American Blue Economy Podcast host from 2017 to 2021 and was key to defining the Blue Economy initiative while at NOAA.
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Tuesday and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday solo message.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us to thank you personally!
What I Discuss With Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet About Leadership in Turbulent Times
- I sit down with Admiral Gallaudet to discuss his advice on holding fast in heavy seas and leadership in turbulent times.
- We discuss Tim Gallaudet’s experience at the U.S. Naval Academy, and how that shaped the future leader he would become.
- Why some of his biggest lessons were learned from his time competitive swimming.
- What it means to be the Oceanagropher of the U.S. Navy and what that entails.
- His experience leading the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as acting Administrator where he lead a 20,000 person agency, distributed all around the world with a $6 billion budget.
- The importance of his signature initiative while at NOAA, the Blue Economy initiative.
- His focus on climate change, sustainable fishing, and preserving coral reefs.
- We discuss Tim’s leadership principles and how he learned them throughout his thirty-two year military career.
- His upcoming book Holding Fast in Heavy Seas.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals
- Green Chef: Go to https://greenchef.com/passionstruck130 and use code passionstruck130 to get $130 off, plus free shipping!”
- Ten Thousand: Go to https://tenthousand.cc and get 15% off with code PASSIONSTRUCK.
- Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More About This Show On Leadership in Turbulent Times with Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet
I asked Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet About How He Leads in Turbulent Times and about his upcoming book Holding Fast in Heavy Seas.
Admiral Gallaudet explains, “Everyone who is in command in the military develops a leadership philosophy. It’s a statement of what I believe in as a leader. And you post that or make it available for all hands to see. And it’s an excellent tool for people to know what their leader is about. And to help them in their own journey of leadership development.
And I saw how hungry people were to develop as leaders. Especially in civilian science, they didn’t experience the leader development programs like at the Naval Academy and the Navy as a service. And so I thought, why not share my leadership philosophies. And so I did that. I put it all into one page and a summary of my principles and philosophy.
And in a way that was sort of nautical and easy to remember. The idea is that I wanted something that people would look at, remember, and be an excellent guide for them. And I had people tell me they hung it up in their conference rooms and framed it. The response was pretty amazing. And I still send it around. And with that in mind, I thought, I do have a story here. And it’s the basis of a book.
I’m going to write about how I learned all these leadership principles. And I break it into three kinds of pillars, being committed, having a positive attitude, and being a humble team player. And ultimately, all of that I learned in the Navy. Then I got to see how important it was to apply it in a federal agency, especially during the last four years. I mean, whatever side of the aisle you’re on, there were some challenges that we had in government.
And so my book is titled, Holding Fast in Heavy Seas: Leading America’s Top Ocean Agency in Turbulent Times. And I go into how I developed my leadership approach and applied it to this great agency with wonderful people who wanted to be led by leaders with integrity and who value their work. There are a lot of ups and downs, a lot of fascinating people. I’ve met both President Biden and Bush and many members of Congress, senators, a few astronauts, Nobel Prize winners, and so on. It was an incredible journey, and I hope to release it sometime in the fall of 2022.”
Thanks, Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet!
If you enjoyed this session with Tim Gallaudet, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Instagram:
Click here to thank Tim Gallaudet on Instagram!
Click here to let John R. Miles know about your number one takeaway from this episode!
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected].
- 0:00 Introduction and Announcements
- 5:18 Green Chef and Ten Thousand
- 8:13 U.S. Naval Academy Experience
- 10:02 How competitive swimming impacted his life
- 13:00 USS Kitty Hawk Experience
- 15:46 What does an oceanographer do?
- 19:34 What does it mean to be that oceanographer for the U.S. Navy?
- 21:37 What is the NOAA mission and why is it important?
- 23:14 What is the blue economy initiative?
- 26:32 The impacts of climate change
- 29:50 Creating unmanned maritime systems
- 32:33 NOAA’s partnership with Vulcan skylight system
- 37:07 The responsibility of the Undersecretary of Commerce
- 38:41 How leadership defined Tim Gallaudet’s career
- 42:18 Tim’s unique ability to remember people’s names
- 48:12 What is more important EQ or AQ?
- 49:15 His upcoming book Holding Fast in Heavy Seas and leadership in turbulent times
- 53:52 Importance of public-private partnerships
- 55:18 Rapid question round
- 56:52 Conclusion and Synthesis
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Website: https://www.oceanstl.com/
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rear-admiral-tim-gallaudet-phd-us-navy-ret-b18185149/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/GallaudetTim
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gallaudettim/
Check out John’s episode on the science that promotes Curiosity. Catch up with Episode 114.
Are you showing yourself self-compassion? John discusses Self-Love in episode 104.
Is the Hustle Culture is Making You Miserable? John explores this in-depth in Episode 70.
Suppose you missed our interview with IFBB Pro Hannah Ranfranz on leading with heart! You can catch up by downloading it here.
Catch the episode I did with Jeff Walker on the criticality of systems change. You can find the episode here.
About this Episodes’ Guest Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet
Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet, Ph.D., US Navy (ret) is currently the CEO of Ocean STL Consulting. Gallaudet is a fellow at The Explorer’s Club and is on the Board of Directors for FORCE BLUE. He serves as an associate editor for the Artificial Intelligence for the Earth Systems (AIES) journal of the American Meteorological Society (AMS), of which he is a member. He is also a member of the Marine Technology Society (MTS), the Association of Unmanned Systems International (AUVSI), the Navy League of the United States, the U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association, and the Naval Weather Service Association. Gallaudet has been honored as a distinguished graduate of the University of California, San Diego.
From 2017-2021, Rear Admiral Gallaudet served as the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere / Deputy NOAA Administrator (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), and from 2017-2019 he also served as the Acting Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere / NOAA Administrator. As Acting Administrator, he led the agency comprised of 20,000 federal employees and contractors managing the nation’s fisheries, coastal resources and waterways, weather satellites, weather services, and environmental research. Overseeing a $6B annual budget, he headed the daily operations of 18 environmental satellites, 16 oceanographic ships, 9 aircraft, 450 boats, 400 technical divers, 6 supercomputers, over a dozen laboratories, and several hundred field sites across the country.
As the Deputy Administrator, he led NOAA’s Blue Economy activities to advance marine transportation, sustainable seafood production, ocean exploration, mapping, marine tourism and recreation, and coastal resilience in the United States and its partners. He also directed NOAA’s support to the Administration’s INDOPACOM-Pacific Strategy; oversaw NOAA’s Arctic research, operations, and engagement; and led the execution of the NOAA science and technology strategies for Artificial Intelligence, Uncrewed Systems, ‘Omics, Cloud, Data, and Citizen Science.
Prior to NOAA, Gallaudet served for 32 years in the U.S. Navy, completing his career as the Oceanographer of the Navy on the staff of the Chief of Naval Operations. His assignments involved combat operations on a Navy aircraft carrier, counterterrorism activities with Navy SEAL Teams, antisubmarine warfare support, and deep-sea research and development. Gallaudet has a Bachelor’s degree from the U.S. Naval Academy, and Master’s and Doctoral degrees from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, all in oceanography.
FOLLOW JOHN ON THE SOCIALS
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. A show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s highest achievers to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JoJohn’satest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022. Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.