In this episode, I discuss the significance of knowing when to quit vs. when to persevere. Quitting is crucial for your long-term personal development, and knowing when to leave can be the wisest choice you make, whether it’s a career that’s not satisfying you or a relationship that’s not suitable for you. Welcome to Momentum Friday!
Business leaders find it challenging to give up on a new app or product that is clearly failing after pouring millions of dollars down the drain. Governments that are engaged in a losing battle think that their next move will be the decisive one. We also continue in our lives in relationships or professions that no longer serve us.
Sometimes it’s essential to go through difficult experiences and learn how and when to fail to reach your full potential. So whether you’re struggling with learning a new skill or trying to make a difficult relationship work, learning when to persevere vs. knowing when to quit is a vital life lesson.
Knowing when to quit can be difficult, but it can also be the best decision for your personal growth, career, and relationships.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What I Discuss In This Episode About Knowing When to Quit
In this Momentum Friday episode, I’ll explain why perseverance is a good trait. I will then discuss the human tendency to persevere for too long and teach you when and how to correctly quit a path that no longer serves you. I will begin with the story of an unfortunate tragedy on Mount Everest, which might have been avoided if the involved climbers had simply known the right time to quit.
- Why sometimes you must quit and its importance
- Why quitting allows you to make better choices
- Why knowing when to quit could have prevented the Mount Everest disaster.
- Understanding when we should be gritty and stick through hard times
- Learning why we persevere for too long
- How do you know when to quit
- Why you can never go too far in the wrong direction that you can’t quit.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John R Miles on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles
Questions For You And Your Friends Or Family Members To Discuss For Knowing When to Quit
- Why is it important to learn when to be gritty vs. knowing when to quit?
- Why do we persevere too long?
- Why is it natural not to want to quit?
- How did not knowing when to quit endanger the lives of the Mount Everest victims?
- What are some signs it is time to quit
- How will you apply today’s episode to your life?
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Omaha Steaks, For Sponsoring
The Steak Experts at Omaha Steaks have put together specially curated gift packages to help take the guesswork out of gifting and make you a holiday hero. Go to Omaha Steaks and take advantage of 50% off sitewide PLUS use code passion at checkout to get an additional $30 off your order.
Thank You, Shopify, For Sponsoring
Discover the number one eCommerce platform for all businesses. Start, run + grow your business with Shopify®. Customize your store with their website builder. Trusted by millions of businesses. Sign up for a FREE trial at SHOPIFY DOT COM SLASH “passionstruck.”
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. To find your old favorites, you can also browse starter packs for existing listeners. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
Resources From The Show On Knowing When to Quit
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Transcript from the episode: https://johnrmiles.com/knowing-when-to-quit-personal-growth/
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When To Quit by Seth Godin
- Quit: The Power of Knowing When to Walk Away by Annie Duke
- My previous episode on identifying cognitive biases and how to avoid them.
- My interview with Seth Godin on why we need systems to change to save the planet and address climate change: https://passionstruck.com/seth-godin-we-need-systems-change-save-planet/.
- My interview with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman and Dr. Jordan Feingold on Choosing Growth and transcending self-doubt, fear, and anxiety: https://passionstruck.com/jordyn-feingold-scott-barry-kaufman-chose-growth/
- My interview with NYU Stern School of Business Professor Scott Galloway on Why America is Adrift: https://passionstruck.com/scott-galloway-america-is-adrift/
- My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for John’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in 2023.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com