Seth Godin (@thisissethsblog) is a teacher, entrepreneur, marketing Hall of Fame inductee, daily blogger, host of the Akimbo podcast, and the author of over 20 international bestsellers. His latest is The Carbon Almanac: It’s Not Too Late.
Seth Godin joins me on the Passion Struck podcast to discuss the Carbon Almanac and why tackling climate change requires changing the system. One of the things that we need to understand about the climate crisis is that we cannot simply reduce our way out of this problem. We have a systems problem. And the system problem is very simple: carbon extracted from the ground in the form of concrete, combustion, and cows is underpriced. We have been stealing from our future by burning stuff way too cheap.
-► Purchase the Carbon Almanac: https://amzn.to/3RFHTxE (Amazon Link)
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Monday and Thursday, and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday solo message.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us to thank you personally!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
In this episode, Seth Godin and I Discuss the Climate Crisis and Why Systems Change is Needed to Save the Planet:
Seth Godin and I discuss why the carbon almanac has become the most important project of his life. The four horsemen that are causing the apocalypse and which one takes the most priority. Why Seth believes we need to act over the next decade or face irreversible consequences. We then devote most of the episode to discussing systems change, prioritizing what we need to do first, measuring the changes, fostering public-private partnerships, and keeping global stakeholders accountable.
- What Exxon knew in 1982 that they kept hidden from the world
- The purpose of the Carbon Almanac
- The Impact of Coal, Combustion, Cows, and Concrete
- How we move away from fossil fuels
- Why cows are such a big threat to the planet and how to address the problem
- Why the next ten years are vital to our survival
- How we initiate systems change and where to prioritize the efforts
- Why we need to move away from the global blame game and institute leadership to tackle this issue
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
Thank You, Dry Farm Wines, For Sponsoring
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Dry Farm Wines, which Have No Chemical Additives for Aroma, Color, Flavor, or Texture Enhancement. Dry Farm Wines – The Only Natural Wine Club That Goes Above and Beyond Industry Standards. For Passion Struck listeners: Dry Farm Wines offers an extra bottle in your first box for a penny (because it’s alcohol, it can’t be free). See all the details and collect your wine at https://www.dryfarmwines.com/passionstruck/.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Seth Godin on the Consequences of Not Tacking a Systems Change approach to Climate Change
During the Passion Struck podcast interview, I asked Seth why it is so critical we do something about the crisis over the next ten years and the consequences if we do not.
Seth Godin explains, “Well, the simple answer is this once ice caps melt, they don’t unmelt. And when you melt the ice caps, many significant things happen. For example, under the ice caps near the North Pole is an enormous amount of buried methane. And when that methane thaws out, it will be released into the atmosphere worse than any herd of cattle could make a difference.
So you end up with the ocean changing direction, you end up with the ocean not being able to absorb any more carbon dioxide, and you end up with flooding and heat waves. And guess what happens when there’s flooding and heatwaves, people turn on their air conditioning even more. And they say, Well, I have to spend money on this, and this and this because it’s an emergency. And all of those things are like burning your house for more heat, which will not solve the problem in the long run. It’s just going to be an emergency reaction.
So this little window that’s left to create new systems opens the door for us to say, Okay, now we can take a breath and start if you want to explore nuclear, but we can’t wait. Because that’s what the fossil fuel industry wants us to do. They just want us to wait till they retire. And I think deep down, the people in that industry know that it’s too late for that strategy, and they’re starting to wake up.
You will hear people from Shell talking about the urgency of this problem for the first time ever, and you will see that Exxon no longer denies that this is a real problem. So if the oil industry is now starting to understand it, that should be a symptom that the rest of us really need to show up.”
Thanks, Seth Godin!
If you enjoyed this interview with Seth Godin, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram and Twitter:
Click here to thank Seth Godin on Instagram!
Click here to thank Seth Godin on Twitter!
Click here to let John R. Miles know about your number one takeaway from this episode!
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
Resources From The Show With Seth Godin
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- The Carbon Almanac | Website
- 1000 Carbon Almanac Footnotes
- Business and Investor Sustainability
- Resources for Climate Entrepreneurs
- Agriculture and Livestock sustainability
- 100 Best Sustainable Farming Books of All Time
- Akimbo: A Podcast
- The Akimbo Workshops
- Other Books by Seth Godin
- Seth Godin | Website
- Seth Godin | Blog
- Seth Godin | Twitter
- Seth Godin | Instagram
- Seth Godin | Facebook
- Seth Godin’s altMBA
- My solo episode on Understanding the Value of Time: https://passionstruck.com/value-of-time-wisdom-of-the-stoics/
- My interview with Abigail Barnes on turning time into productivity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9gBbUnENo
- My interview with Dr. Ayelet Fishbach on how you get things are done through the science of motivation: https://passionstruck.com/ayelet-fishbach-get-it-done-find-the-fun-path/
- My interview with Dr. Katy Milkman on the behavior science behind how we change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
- My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
- My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guest Seth Godin
For more than 30 years, Seth Godin has inspired people and taught them how to level up. He is the author of 20 bestselling books translated into 40 languages. Books like Tribes, Linchpin, The Dip, and This is Marketing. He is the coordinator of the Carbon Almanac, which he considers the most important project of his career.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JJohn’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com