Scott Barry Kaufman, Ph.D., (@scottbarrykaufman) and Jordyn Feingold, MD, (@jordynfeingold) join the Passion Struck podcast to discuss their new book Chose Growth: A workbook for Transcending Trauma, Fear, and Self-Doubt.
Scott Barry Kaufman, Jordyn Feingold, and I discuss how you can use their new workbook, Choose Growth, to guide you on your journey to growth and continual pursuit of self-actualization. The book expands on Dr. Kaufman’s previous book, Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization, by providing a collection of exercises that are grounded in the latest positive psychology research and humanistic psychology principles to overcome trauma, self-doubt, and fear.
-►Purchase Choose Growth: https://amzn.to/3qtOiAv (Amazon Link)
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
In This Episode, Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold Discuss Their New Book Choose Growth:
Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold join me on the Passion Struck podcast to discuss their research-based workbook for turning difficult times into a springboard for overcoming trauma, self-doubt, and fear. They discuss how to do this through insight, healing, and new beginnings. We tackle fundamental questions such as Who are we? Do we have a higher purpose? And how do we not only live through but thrive in the wake of trauma, obstacles, and challenges?
- How Jordyn and Scott met and why it changed Jordyn’s approach to medicine.
- Scott discusses his popular science of living course at Columbia University.
- Jordyn explains her passion for positive medicine.
- What explore the concept of self-transcendence and Maslow’s work
- Why life is not a linear journey but more like the path of a sailboat
- The importance of anchoring yourself
- Embracing high-quality connections
- Why is big talk more valuable than small talk
- How to develop healthy self-esteem
- Expanding your comfort zone by facing fear
- The power of exploration
- Becoming a transcender and the keys to savoring life
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Dry Farm Wines, For Sponsoring
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Dry Farm Wines, which Have No Chemical Additives for Aroma, Color, Flavor, or Texture Enhancement. Dry Farm Wines – The Only Natural Wine Club That Goes Above and Beyond Industry Standards. For Passion Struck listeners: Dry Farm Wines offers an extra bottle in your first box for a penny (because it’s alcohol, it can’t be free). See all the details and collect your wine at https://www.dryfarmwines.com/passionstruck/.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more. Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold on Choose Growth
During the Passion Struck podcast interview, I asked Scott and Jordyn to share what they hoped readers would take away from Choose Growth.
Scott Barry Kaufman explains, “My answer is really almost like self-evident, It’s just really that one can choose growth. People don’t even realize that. They get caught in their loops. Right? They get caught every day. Like there’s a lot of learned helplessness. And a lot of this, by the way, I mean, we’re influenced by Martin Seligman’s seminal work on learned helplessness. Then how he went to learned hopefulness, which is where his work is at right now, as with our friend Dan Tomasulo.
He wrote an awesome book, which I wrote the foreword to called Learned Hopefulness. We want to instill a lot of learned hopefulness in people. If they’re in a life of learned helplessness, then I think that process is choosing the growth option.”
Jordyn Feingold explains, “I think my takeaway is twofold. One, we can’t do it alone. We have to invite and include others in the growth experience with us. Because we’re not solitary beings. We are deeply interdependent, and the needs for both connection and love as distinct needs very much both include other people and that it’s a journey of growth.
It is a journey without a destination. There is no definitive place we land when we say we’re done. All right, I’ve grown sufficiently I’m it’s time to stop, but that it’s a constant commitment and recommitment, and sometimes we have to take many steps back in order to reorient and get to the place where we’re going.”
Thanks, Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold!
If you enjoyed this interview with Jordyn Feingold and Scott Barry Kaufman, let them know by clicking on the link below and sending them a quick shout on Instagram:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected].
Resources From The Show With Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- Transcend by Scotty Barry Kaufman
- Who created Maslow’s iconic pyramid?
- Website: https://scottbarrykaufman.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/scottbarrykaufman/
- Psychology Podcast: https://scottbarrykaufman.com/podcast/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/sbkaufman
- Website: http://positivepsychologyforphysicians.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JordynFeingold
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jordynfeingold/
- My solo episode on Understanding the Value of Time: https://passionstruck.com/value-of-time-wisdom-of-the-stoics/
- My interview with Abigail Barnes on turning time into productivity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9gBbUnENo
- My interview with Dr. Ayelet Fishbach on how you get things are done through the science of motivation: https://passionstruck.com/ayelet-fishbach-get-it-done-find-the-fun-path/
- My interview with Dr. Katy Milkman on the behavior science behind how we change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
- My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
- My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guests Scott Barry Kaufman and Jordyn Feingold
Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman, Ph.D., is a cognitive scientist and humanistic psychologist exploring the depths of human potential. He is a professor at Columbia University and director of the Center for Human Potential. Dr. Kaufman has authored ten books and is the host of The Psychology Podcast.
Dr. Jordyn Feingold, MD, MAPP, MSCR, is a resident physician in psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in NYC, a well-being researcher, and a positive psychology practitioner. Her research and clinical interests involve protecting and promoting healthcare worker and patient well-being and incorporating positive psychology approaches into healthcare delivery.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JJohn’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com