Our guest today is Alan Stein Jr., who is all about what it takes to achieve and sustain PEAK PERFORMANCE.
If you want to know what it takes to achieve more MENTAL TOUGHNESS in your life to give you added discipline, success, and responsibility, you will want to take notes and pay close attention. This is the LEVELING-UP episode you’ve been waiting for.
Alan Stein Jr. has been all about PRODUCING CHAMPIONS for over two decades. He worked with some of the world’s highest performing basketball players for the past 15 years, including KOBE BRYANT, STEPH CURRY, KEVIN DURANT, and many other household members. He is also a world-leading authority on what it takes to enhance your individual or organizational performance. Alan is the author of two highly successful books, RAISE YOUR GAME and his newly released SUSTAIN YOUR GAME.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What I Discuss With Alan Stein Jr. About How to Create and Sustain Peak Performance
We spend an hour discussing what it takes to be more than good… we discuss what it takes to ACHIEVE GREATNESS, no matter what you do. Alan is a pro when it comes to GOAT mentality and REVEALS everything it takes to achieve PEAK PERFORMANCE. We explore the following topics:
- How Alan became a basketball performance coach to many NBA players, including NBA superstars Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, and Kobe Bryant.
- The importance of discipline and what elite performers do in the unseen hours.
- How to control the controllables.
- The significance of being present in our micro choices.
- The importance of preparation in achieving peak performance.
- The consequences of not focusing on sustaining behavior change.
- Why it is vital to expand your circle.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Ka’Chava, For Sponsoring
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Ka’Chava, your all-in-one plant-based superfood meal to fuel your mind and body. Packed with protein and the optimal blend of macronutrients + micronutrients. Go to Kachava.com/passionstruck and get 10% off your first order.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. To find your old favorites, you can also browse starter packs for existing listeners. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Alan Stein Jr.
During our interview, I asked Alan to discuss how you control the controllables.
Alan Stein Jr. explains, “I’m a big believer that when you brush everything else away, there are only two things in this world we have 100% control over 100% of the time. And that is our own effort and our own attitude. Now I do realize, and I don’t want this to be a game of verbal semantics, you can take effort and attitude and mix them together. And you have preparation, which we’ve already talked about you are in control of your preparation, you take effort and attitude, you mix them together, you can get enthusiasm, you are in control of how much enthusiasm you bring to the table in any situation.
But those are really spokes off of the same wheel. Ultimately, it just comes down to effort and attitude. And for me, when I can stay hyper-focused on giving my best effort and having my best attitude. And I can learn to appropriately disregard everything else, the things outside of my control.
It allows me to perform at a higher level. And once again, coupled with it allowing me to enjoy whatever I’m doing at a higher level, when we focus too much on the things that are outside of our control, then it diminishes and negatively impacts the things that are in our control. Just having a level of acceptance that most things going on in the world are well beyond our own control. leaning into that is actually very, very helpful.
On some level, it’s kind of surrendering to the fact that the world will do what it will do. I do not control what is going on around me. I don’t control circumstances and events. I don’t control what people say I don’t control what people do. But I always control how I choose to respond to those things. And I want to be very thoughtful and intentional in how I respond. I don’t want my responses to be an emotional knee-jerk reaction, an automatic default if you will.
And I think that’s a position. And I don’t say this to judgment. I say this with compassion. I think people think it’s automatic when certain things happen. They don’t have any choice in how they respond. But I want to let them know that they absolutely do that if they can take a deep breath and accept that what’s happening is what’s happening. And then be thoughtful in their response. They’ll see their life change immediately. And that’s one of the most important choices that we make.
And just so your listeners don’t think I live in la la land or I’ve lost my marbles. But I’m by no means saying that everything that goes on in the world is to your liking. And I’m not saying it’s your preference. And I’m not saying that some things that happen in this world are good. I mean, we’ve seen recently with some tragedies, there’s some awful stuff that happens in this world.
But I want folks to know that those things those isolated incidences are outside of our control, and we get to choose how to respond to them coming up with a thoughtful and intentional response in the face of really challenging adversity is not easy to do
Thanks, Alan Stein Jr.!
If you enjoyed this interview with Ari Wallach, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram or Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected].
Resources From The Show With Alan Stein Jr.
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Website: https://alansteinjr.com/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alansteinjr/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlanLSteinJr
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlanSteinJr
* My solo episode on how the consequences of excuses and 8 ways to stop making them: https://passionstruck.com/how-to-stop-making-excuses/
* My interview with Ari Wallach on the Longpath Mindset and creating a future with something greater than yourself in mind: https://passionstruck.com/ari-wallach-on-unlock-your-purpose-longpath/
* My interview with Dr. Ayelet Fishbach on how you get things done through the science of motivation: https://passionstruck.com/ayelet-fishbach-get-it-done-find-the-fun-path/
* My interview with Dr. Katy Milkman on the behavior science behind how we change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
* My interview with Jeff Walker on how you create systems change to solve world-centric issues: https://passionstruck.com/jeffrey-c-walker-collaboration-systems-change/
* My interview with Jean Oelwang on the power of partnerships in solving novel issues that impact society: https://passionstruck.com/jean-oelwang-what-will-you-love-into-being/
* My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
* My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guest Alan Stein Jr.
Alan Stein, Jr. is an experienced keynote speaker and author of the books Raise Your Game: High-Performance Secrets from the Best of the Best and Sustain Your Game: High-Performance Keys to Manage Stress, Avoid Stagnation and Beat Burnout.
At his core, he’s a performance coach passionate about helping others change behaviors. Through his customized programs, he spent 15+ years working with the highest performing basketball players on the planet. He transfers his unique expertise to maximize both individual and organizational performance.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JJohn’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com