Over the past few months, the growing chronic loneliness epidemic has come up repeatedly in my interviews on the Passion Struck podcast. Given its prevalence, I decided to devote this episode to addressing its significance.
What is Loneliness?
Loneliness is a human sentiment that is complicated and unique to every person. Because there isn’t a known common cause, the consequences of loneliness and its prevention can vary dramatically.
Anne Hathaway did a great job articulating her feelings about loneliness in the following quote, “Loneliness is my least favorite thing about life. The thing that I’m most worried about is just being alone without anybody to care for or someone who will care for me.”
Her quote brings to life how differently we each experience loneliness. For example, a lonely elderly person who struggles to have people to talk to has different needs than a college student leaving home for the first time.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What are the Consequences of Loneliness and Ten Ways to Deal With Social Isolation?
In today’s Momentum Friday Passion Struck podcast episode, I dive into what it means to be “lonely,” as well as the causes and consequences of loneliness, and provide ten different ways to deal with loneliness.
- Why loneliness is not an abstract state that impacts only particular kinds of people
- Illustrating the importance of human interaction
- The difference between being alone and being lonely
- The causes and effects of social isolation
- Ten ways to overcome loneliness
- Why the most terrible poverty is loneliness
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John R Miles on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Ka’Chava, For Sponsoring
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Ka’Chava, your all-in-one plant-based superfood meal to fuel your mind and body. Packed with protein and the optimal blend of macronutrients + micronutrients. Go to Kachava.com/passionstruck and get 10% off your first order.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. To find your old favorites, you can also browse starter packs for existing listeners. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Resources From The Show On Loneliness and Ways to Deal with Social Isolation
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- * Loneliness Causes and Health Consequences: https://www.verywellmind.com/loneliness-causes-effects-and-treatments-2795749
* Dealing with the epidemic of chronic loneliness: https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/you-are-not-alone-2/
* Interested in reading the transcript for the episode? Check it out: https://johnrmiles.com/10-ways-to-deal-with-chronic-loneliness/
* My interview with Ari Wallach on his new book Longpath and how we unlock our purpose for something greater than ourselves: https://passionstruck.com/ari-wallach-on-unlock-your-purpose-longpath/
* My interview with Ayelet Fishbach, a professor at the Booth School of Business University of Chicago, on how to get it done, the science of motivation: https://passionstruck.com/ayelet-fishbach-get-it-done-find-the-fun-path/
* My interview with Astronaut Wendy Lawrence on why you must permit yourself to dream the dream: https://passionstruck.com/how-to-dream-the-dream-you-want/
My interview with Katy Milkman, Ph.D. on how to create lasting behavior change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
My interview with Astronaut Chris Cassidy on the importance of being present in the moment: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/astronaut-chris-cassidy-on-the-importance-in-life/id1553279283?i=1000521263914
* Listen to my solo episode on how you overcome the culture of exceptionalism: https://passionstruck.com/how-do-you-overcome-culture-of-exceptionalism/
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is the CEO, and Founder of PASSION STRUCK®, the first of its kind company, focused on impacting real change by teaching people how to live Intentionally. He is on a mission to help people live a no-regrets life that exalts their victories and lets them know they matter in the world. For over two decades, he built his own career applying his research of passion struck leadership, first becoming a Fortune 50 CIO and then a multi-industry CEO. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, entrepreneur, and author.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* About: https://johnrmiles.com/my-story/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMiles
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283