Today I talk to Jeff Struecker (@jeffstruecker) about the importance of being a person of your word. Jeff Struecker is a pastor, podcaster, author, and featured keynote speaker. He enlisted in the US Army at age 18 and served for almost 23 years before retiring with the rank of Major.
Jeff now leads the Unbeatable Army, the faithful followers of his top-rated podcast. He was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame in 2017 and holds many decorations and recognitions for his military service, including the Silver Star from his service during Black Hawk Down.
Purchase Jeff’s book Start Here: https://amzn.to/3t7Bvoq (Amazon Link)
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
In This Episode, Jeff Struecker And I discuss the Importance of Being a Person of Your Word
If you’re looking for advice on achieving your goals, you need to listen to this episode of the Passion Struck Podcast. Jeff and John discuss the importance of being a person of your word and how it’s critical for success in life. Jeff provides his perspectives from Black Hawk Down and the two discuss the importance of having a strong sense of moral conviction and how it can help you act in accordance with your commitments. Armed with this knowledge, you’ll be able to take control of your life and achieve your dreams!
- The two types of people in the military
- The toughest job in the military is being a Private in the Rangers
- The role of a US Army Ranger vs other special operations forces
- The key difference between a coward and a hero
- How black hawk down taught him the importance of being a man of your word
- How you overcome fear
- The importance of life’s transition points
- How to deal with PTSD in or out of the military
- Transitioning from Ranger to Chaplain
- The key to making a difference in the world
- Why are people leaving the church?
- The need to feel and give love
- How to make sure you are on God’s right path
- Excuses are one of the worst things if you want to live your best life.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Shopify, For Sponsoring
Discover the number one eCommerce platform for all Businesses. Start, run + grow your business with Shopify®. Customize your store with their website builder. Trusted by millions of businesses. Sign up for a FREE trial at SHOPIFY DOT COM SLASH “passionstruck”,
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. To find your old favorites, you can also browse starter packs for existing listeners. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More From My Interview With Jeff Struecker on the Importance of Being a Person of Your Word
During our interview, I asked Jeff if he would talk about his Black Hawk Down experience, through the lens of the importance of being a man of your word.
Jeff Struecker explains, “You just asked the question for a warrior on a battlefield. And I don’t know if most people understand this going into the military, especially those who have never served. When I returned to the base from retrieving wounded and killed soldiers, my boss came up to me, saying, ‘Hey, Jeff, a second, Blackhawk just got shot down. We’ve already put the Ranger search and rescue force in at the first crash site. We don’t have anybody else out there, we need to get you back on your Humvees, and you need to go out to the second crash site.’
And I’m thinking to myself, everybody is going to die if I do this. And here’s where being a man of your word comes in John because the Rangers swear their lives to one another almost every day. They do it quite literally in what we call the Ranger creed. And one of the phrases of the Ranger creed says I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy.
And now I’m at my Humvees getting ready to roll back on the city streets with a guy whose dead body is being pulled off to the back, and I think if I go back out there, I’m going to die. All of my men are going to die. But if I don’t go back out there, the guys at that crash site are going to die. And I’ve sworn my life to them. I gave my word and said I would never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy.
And now keeping my word is probably going to cost me my life. And I’ll just be honest, man, I had this moment where I had to wrestle with Are you going to be a man of your word or not? Jeff? And if it costs you your life tonight, are you going to do what you promised your brothers and sisters in arms that you’re going to do? And that really that moment, and my strong faith gave me the courage.
My faith gave me the courage to get on the on these. But that moment is what pushed me in that direction. Because had it not been for the Ranger creed, I don’t think I would have gone back out there not once, but multiple times all night long that night.”
Thanks, Jeff Struecker!
If you enjoyed this interview with Jeff Struecker, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
Resources From The Show With Jeff Struecker
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
- Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/unbeatable/id1586189975
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pastorjeffstruecker
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeffstruecker/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffstruecker
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5xQBS37HNJ88RUn8DjlRvg
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffstruecker/
- My solo episode on whether or not free will exists: https://passionstruck.com/does-the-concept-of-free-will-really-exist/
- My interview with Seth Godin on why we need systems to change to save the planet and address climate change: https://passionstruck.com/seth-godin-we-need-systems-change-save-planet/.
- My interview with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman and Dr. Jordan Feingold on Choosing Growth and transcending self-doubt, fear, and anxiety: https://passionstruck.com/jordyn-feingold-scott-barry-kaufman-chose-growth/
- My interview with Dr. Katy Milkman on the behavior science behind how we change: https://passionstruck.com/katy-milkman-behavior-change-for-good/
- My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
About Today’s Guest, Jeff Struecker
Jeff Struecker is a pastor, podcaster, author, and featured keynote speaker. He enlisted in the US Army at age 18 and served for almost 23 years before retiring with the rank of Major. He now leads the Unbeatable Army, the faithful followers of his top-rated podcast.
Jeff spent most of his military career serving in special operations units. He served in many positions in the US Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment. He left active duty as a Sergeant First Class to become a US Army Chaplain. Jeff served in various Airborne and Ranger units before retiring from the US Army in 2011. He was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame in 2017.
Jeff was deployed to combat in Panama, Kuwait, Somalia, and on many tours of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq. He holds many decorations and recognitions for his military service, including the Silver Star. He has attended many professional military schools and has received many badges to recognize his specialized military training as an Infantryman, a Paratrooper, a Ranger, and a Chaplain.
Jeff is an avid runner and has completed numerous marathons and ultra-marathons. In 1996 he won the Best Ranger Competition. He holds a Ph.D. from the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is an award-winning author with many books in print. Jeff is the founding pastor of 2 Cities Church in Columbus, GA. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Dawn. They have five children and three grandchildren.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. The show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for JJohn’slatest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com