David Yaden – Self-Transcendence, Psychedelics, and Behavior Change | Brought to you by Zocdoc. Go to https://www.zocdoc.com/passionstruck and download the Zocdoc app for FREE. Then start your search for a top-rated doctor today.
–►Purchase David’s book The Varieties of Spiritual Experiences: 21st Century Research and Perspectives with Oxford University Press: https://amzn.to/3n3BXkN
David B. Yaden, Ph.D. obtained his Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania and is currently an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His work in The Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research focuses on the psychology, neuroscience, and psychopharmacology of so-called spiritual, self-transcendent, and other positively transformative experiences. His scientific and scholarly work has been covered by outlets such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and NPR.
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Monday and Wednesday, and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday solo message.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us to thank you personally!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
What I Discuss With David Yaden
David Yaden joins us to discuss self-transcendence and the varieties of spiritual experiences. Specifically, he is interested in understanding how these altered states of consciousness can result in long-term changes to well-being, mental health, and prosocial behavior – while also studying their risks.
- We discuss Self-Transcendent Experiences and how awe differs from being in a flow state, a peak experience, or a mythical experience.
- Dr. Yaden explains how we are transformed during a self-transcendent experience and why it can be challenging to define.
- We look at self-transcendence through the lens of what astronaut experiences called the Overview Effect.
- We discuss how his mentors, Andrew Newberg, Martin Seligman, and Rolan Griffiths, shaped his path.
- His upcoming book The Varieties of Spiritual Experience with Andrew Newberg.
- His interest in psychedelics and the psychedelic research center at Johns Hopkins.
- I ask David about his interaction with the Dalai Lama and why the Dalai Lama’s teachings are revolutionary.
- We end by discussing the phenomenon of “being called” and why this transcendent sense of purpose is surprisingly ordinary.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Zocdoc, which is the start of a better health care journey for you. Find and book top-rated local doctors on-demand. Visit them in their offices or video chat with them from home. Go to https://www.zocdoc.com/passionstruck. Download the Zocdoc app for FREE and start your search for a top-rated doctor today.
Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
David Yaden And I Discuss Self-Transcendence, Psychedelics, and Behavior Change
During our interview, David and I discussed different types of self-transcendent experiences ranging from awe to what Maslow described as a peak experience to mythical experiences, which William James was really involved in. I asked David about some of the different experiences and how they differ?
David Yaden explains, “I think we can call these experiences self-transcendent experiences. There are many different ones, but they seem similar in that they’re all intensely altered states of consciousness, involving some degree of self diminishment and feelings of connectedness. And these range in intensity.
So you have the kinds of more subtle daily experiences like flow, when you’re really absorbed in a challenging task and time you look up at the clock and hours have gone by, and you didn’t even realize it, or mindfulness. And then, on the other end of the spectrum, you have these more transformative, intense once-in-a-lifetime type experiences, which we can call those peak or mystical experiences. And then, somewhere in the middle, we have things like awe where we perceive the vastness, our jaw drops, and we get chills.”
Thanks, David Yaden!
If you enjoyed this interview with David Yaden, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout on Instagram or LinkedIn:
Click here to thank David Yaden on LinkedIn!
Click here to thank David Yaden on Instagram!
Click here to let John R. Miles know about your number one takeaway from this episode!
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
Resources From The Show With David Yaden
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Website: https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/yaden
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dbyaden/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExistWell
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidbyaden/
* Yaden, D. B., J. Haidt, R. W. Hood, D. R. Vago, and A. B. Newberg (2017). “The Varieties of Self-Transcendent Experience.” Review of General Psychology 21(2): 143-160. [Link]
* Information on psilocybin Phase 2 Trials
* How psilocybin, the psychedelic in mushrooms, may rewire the brain to ease depression, anxiety, and more
* My interview with David Vago Ph.D. on Meditation in Self-Transcendent states: https://passionstruck.com/dr-david-vago-on-self-transcendence/
* My interview with Cathy Heller: https://passionstruck.com/cathy-heller-how-do-you-find-your-lifes-passion/
* My interview with Michael Slepian: https://passionstruck.com/michael-slepian-the-secret-life-of-secrets/
* My interview with Tricia Manning: https://passionstruck.com/tricia-manning-on-how-to-lead-with-heart/
* My interview with Jordan Harbinger on Why Legacy is Greater Than Currency: https://passionstruck.com/jordan-harbinger-on-why-building-your-legacy-is-greater-than-currency/
* My interview with Sarah Fay on the fallacies of the DSM: https://passionstruck.com/sarah-fay-pathological/
* My interview with Admiral James Stavridis: https://passionstruck.com/admiral-james-stavridis-to-risk-it-all/
* My solo episode on why micro choices matter: https://passionstruck.com/why-your-micro-choices-determine-your-life/
* My solo episode on why you must feel to heal: https://passionstruck.com/why-you-must-feel-to-find-emotional-healing/
About Today’s Guest David Yaden
David Yaden, Ph.D., studies the measurement and experimental manipulation of mental states called altered states of consciousness. These mental states are often among the most transformative and meaningful moments in people’s lives, yet little is known about how they are triggered, the neurophysiological processes that underlie them, or how they impact the beliefs and behavior of those who have them. His research is currently focused on the therapeutic potential of psychedelic substances for mood and substance use disorders.
His scientific research and scholarly writing generally aim to provide a quantitative and empirical 21st-century update to William James’s classic book on the topic, The Varieties of Religious Experience, using: 1) psychometric instruments, 2) computational linguistic analysis, 3) neuroimaging, 4) non-invasive brain stimulation, and 5) psychopharmacology. Psychopharmacologist Roland R. Griffiths, Ph.D. is his previous Postdoctoral advisor.
He previously studied with neuroscientist Andrew B. Newberg, MD, and completed his doctoral training with psychologist Martin E. P. Seligman, Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania. He has authored over 40 scientific and scholarly publications and edited two books that provide a scientific perspective on practices and experiences traditionally associated with religion/spirituality: Rituals and Practices in World Religions and Being Called.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast. A show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s most inspiring people to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for John’s latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022.
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.