Claude Silver (@claudesilver) is the Chief Heart Officer of VaynerX, the host of the emotional optimism podcast, and a pioneering world leader in the power of heart leadership.
This conversation serves as a sort of “masterclass” on the science of emotional optimism and strong-hearted leadership, which impacts passion, purpose, and performance.
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Tuesday and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday message.
What We Discuss With Claude Silver About Emotional Optimism and Heart Leadership
- Her role as the Chief Heart Officer and how it differs from a typical chief human resources officer.
- What it means to lead from the heart and why great leaders know how to blend the emotional with the analytical.
- Why misery attracts misery, but, simultaneously, the right kind of company can help heal misery.
- What it means to have emotional optimism and its role in someone having a positive and purposeful life.
- Her Emotional Optimism: Living in The Silver Lining Podcast which is a collection of exploratory thoughts and conversations to help tap into emotional optimism and heart leadership.
- Claude Silver reveals her favorite things about working with Gary Vee and so much more.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Have You Tried BetterHELP?
BetterHELP is making professional therapy accessible, affordable, and convenient — so anyone who struggles with life’s challenges can get help anytime and anywhere. BetterHELP offers licensed, trained, experienced, and accredited psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and board licensed professional counselors. BetterHELP wants you to start living a happier life AND is offering Passion Struck listeners 10% off your first month by visiting www.betterhelp.com/passionstruck.
4x4x48 Challenge in Support of Special Forces and Veteran Non-Profits
We have an exciting and important announcement. I was asked by my friend, retired Green Beret Andrew Marr, and his brother Adam Marr (Army Apache Pilot) to sponsor, fundraise, and participate in this year’s 4x4x48 challenge. This challenge is a cause near and dear to my heart as I am one of the veterans that these organizations have helped overcome my struggles with mental health and the long-term impact of Traumatic Brain Injury. If you are interested in supporting our efforts, please go to: https://give.warriorangelsfoundation.org/team/400731.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More About This Show On The Importance of Heart Leadership and Emotional Optimism With Claude Silver
During our conversation, John R. Miles asks Claude Silver about the human-to-human connection that heart leadership is all about.
Claude explains, “Heart leadership is all about connection, kindness, and treating people as not only do you want to be treated but how they want to be treated. Someone told me about, there’s the golden rule. And then someone told me about the platinum rule: do unto others as you think they want you to do to them.
The thing is, in the absence of anything that we’ve just talked about, there will be suffering. Because this is not my way, this is a world where human beings are meant to connect. We are intended to be in belonging with one another. And that’s from the dawn of time. We’re designed to be in a community, and we’re meant to be in cultures and subcultures where we are figuring out the subsequent cultures.
So that is what I think helps foster these human-centric, heart-centric, whatever you want to call it, cultures, where people feel like they can thrive that they can be greater than they are today. This doesn’t just apply to the HR team, but my managers, bosses, and leaders want me to be the best I can possibly be.
That, for me, is what it’s about. The more we can pour that water into the system, the quicker we will solve retention and stop people bailing out of work and people having mental and emotional health issues right now. Not only in the workplace but overall. This is how we solve the connection issues.
What is Emotional Optimism?
In our discussion, Claude Silver explains that “emotional optimism is actually the opposite of another buzzword called toxic positivity. Toxic positivity is: you had a terrible morning, but it’s all good, it’s gonna get better. Toxic positivity is yes, we just had to let 20 people go. But don’t worry, you’re safe. But toxic positivity is devoid of reality.
What are the keys to applying emotional optimism?
We all have emotions that are going through our bodies and our minds. And emotions are data. They’re literally signposts for us to say, mayday, mayday. I’m getting triggered up here. Mayday. Mayday. I’m getting angry over here. I feel happy over here. The emotional part is when we say emotional optimism, it’s not to negate or to shove your emotions away, or to pretend that that never happened.
It’s to identify what your emotions are telling you as data, as information. And then also be able to see the hope, the positivity, the possibility.”
Thanks, Claude Silver!
If you enjoyed this session with Claude Silver, let her know by clicking on the link below and sending her a quick shout out at LinkedIn:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected].
- 0:00 Show Introduction
- 1:40 4x4x48 Challenge
- 2:56 Introducing Claude Silver
- 4:28 BetterHELP 6:22 What is a Chief Heart Officer?
- 9:13 Confronting employee disengagement
- 12:48 Defining heart leadership
- 14:40 Importance of relationship building
- 18:00 Importance of emotional intelligence
- 22:42 Importance of empathy
- 23:30 Emotional optimism
- 31:00 It’s not about being right, it’s being better
- 36:31 Importance of emotional agility
- 38:45 Can’t achieve success without pain
- 40:44 How a company can build a heart culture
- 44:05 Speaking with your feet
- 47:01 The Yes virus
- 52:31 What is Gary Vee like as a boss
- 56:20 Rapid Round of Questions
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/casilver/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/claudesilver
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/claudesilver/
* VaynerX Website: https://vaynerx.com/
* Claude Silver’s Personal Website: https://www.claudesilver.com/
* A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink
* Broken Horses: A Memoir by Brandi Carlile
Do you want to know why John founded Passion Struck? Check out episode 100.
Check out John’s past episode on Stop Hiding Your Authentic Self. Catch up with Episode 88.
Are you having trouble prioritizing your time? John discusses the I Don’t Have Time Syndrome in Episode 27.
Is the Hustle Culture is Making You Miserable? John explores this in-depth in Episode 70.
Suppose you missed our interview with world-renown fitness guru Christina Sparks on how to turn your passion for giving into a business. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
Catch the episode I did with Amanda Slavin, on Improving Lives by inspiring change. You can find the episode here.
About This Episode’s Guest Claude Silver
At VaynerMedia, Claude Silver oversees anything and everything that has to do with people, including but not limited to: talent management, employee experience & retention, learning & development, coaching, culture, internal communications, and recruitment. Claude is an emotional optimist, coach, manager, and mentor. As the first-ever Chief Heart Officer, it is her great honor to lead at VaynerMedia and be with the heartbeat of every single person in the company. Her role is to infuse the Agency with Empathy. It’s her purpose. She is also the host of the Emotional Optimism podcast.
Connect With John R. Miles
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMILES
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/JohnMiles
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast
John R. Miles is a globally recognized high-performance coach, life and business strategist, military veteran, and one of the most-watched quoted and followed personal growth trainers globally. John is a highly sought-after speaker, coach, author and makes frequent media appearances to discuss how to transition from being passion struck to becoming PASSION STRUCK! He is passionate about being the catalyst who helps individuals expand into the most excellent version of themselves, unlocking the most legendary life possible.