John R. Miles – How do you stop living in fear and letting it control you? The neuroscience of fears and what they are not just passively forgotten, they must be actively unlearned. Brought to you by Raycon (https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck) and Athletic Greens (https://athleticgreens.com/passionstruck).
Fear is a complicated thing. In today’s episode, I will be taking you on an in-depth journey into the world of the emotion called fear, explaining the neuroscience of fear, giving you details on how fear is learned, and equipping you with knowledge on how you can effectively unlearn fear. I use the story of British Olympic Gold Medalist Adam Peaty to illustrate how fears are learned and unlearned and the steps he took to stop living in fear.
What is the Neuroscience of Fear?
When a person is exposed to trauma or a painful situation, the amygdala, in association with the hypothalamus – part of the brain’s limbic system in charge of emotions – triggers two systems the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal-cortical system. The sympathetic nervous system largely primes the body to anticipate the threat. After this, the body becomes attentive, and both adrenaline and noradrenaline are discharged into the bloodstream. These two stress hormones cause the pupils to dilate, the brain to become hyperalert, and an increase in heart rate and blood pressure.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@john_r_miles) takes your requests for topics on Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Let’s dive in!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Podbean, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube here.
In This Week’s Episode, John R. Miles Explores Why You Need to Stop Living in Fear Through the Lens of the Story of Adam Peaty
- What is fear and what causes it?
- How did British Olympian Adam Peaty unlearn the fear of water?
- The evolution and psychology of fear
- The neuroscience of fear and how it affects the body and mind
- How fear is learned and conditions us
- How do you unlearn fear?
- Why fear does not have to control our lives
- How to actively and intentionally stop living in fear
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John R Miles on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Athletic Greens. Athletic Greens is a health and wellness company that makes comprehensive daily nutrition really simple. ONE scoop contains 75 vitamins, including multivitamins, multi-minerals, probiotics, and immune-supporting mushrooms. Get a free one year supply of Vitamin D3/K2 and five travel packs at athleticgreens.com/passionstruck
Raycon is a wireless audio brand that enables inspirational audio experiences. With an unapologetic willingness to shatter industry norms, they are priced at half of that of their competition. Get 15% on Raycons at https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
RESOURCES FROM THE SHOW ON WHY YOU SHOULD STOP LIVING IN FEAR
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
* Watch my video with Liz Fosslien on her new book “Big Feelings:” https://youtu.be/pKupqaUlPpo
* Big Feelings: How to be Okay When Things Are Not Okay: https://amzn.to/3rYeJiO (Amazon Link)
* Laurie Singer’s Book: You’re Not Crazy: Living with Anxiety, Obsessions, and Fetishes: https://amzn.to/3Koz47l (links to Amazon)
* My interview with Laurie Singer on Why There is Hope: https://passionstruck.com/laurie-singer-on-why-youre-not-crazy/
* Dr. Marie Fang’s video on learned helplessness: https://youtu.be/YOJBL8uLT2U
* Click Here for the Transcript: https://johnrmiles.com/unlearn-fear-why-fears-are-not-just-forgotten
* 9 Simple Ways to Create Work-Life Balance: https://passionstruck.com/create-work-life-balance-9-simple-ways/
* American Psychological Association research: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2001-18225-005
* Are you having trouble prioritizing yourself? John discusses the importance of self-love in Episode 104
* John explains why materialism is impacting your success and happiness in episode 96.
* Do you know the science of healthy habits? John explores this in-depth in Episode 108.
* Suppose you missed our interview with Jen Bricker-Bauer on Everything is Possible. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
* How do you strengthen your relationship with your best self? Explore episode 110.
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is the host of the highly popular podcast Passion Struck with John R. Miles.
John is also a prolific public speaker and author. John is the host of the PassionStruckPodcast, a show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world’s highest achievers to learn the lessons of living intentionally.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact. Stay tuned for John’s latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in the summer of 2022.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* About: https://johnrmiles.com/my-story/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMiles
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283