Andrew Marr (@warriorangelsfdn) is a retired Green Beret, co-founder of the Warrior Angels Foundation, and author of “Tales from the Blast Factory.” He is also featured in the documentary “Quiet Explosions.” Andrew sits down with John R. Miles on the Passion Struck podcast. The two discuss the long-term effects of traumatic brain injury (TBI) from exposure to combat. How it impacted both their lives and their mutual experience with the VA.
Hear the secrets and philosophy of the World’s GREATEST high achievers every Tuesday and tune in each week for an inspirational Momentum Friday message!
What We Discuss With Andrew Marr About Creating a Never Quit Mentality
- What is the exact role of a Green Beret and how is it different from other U.S. Special Forces?
- What was the driving reason that led him to become a Green Beret.
- Andrew’s 2013 Tour of duty in Afghanistan, which turned out to be his last and what he encountered during that tour as the team’s breach man.
- The significant physical and mental changes that occurred shortly after his return and how he used his never quit mentality to keep on going overcoming tremendous adversity.
- His long path of navigating the Veteran Affairs and getting nowhere which turned into his own personal journey to find a cure for what was happening to him.
- How through that journey he met Dr. Mark Gordon, who, through alternate health and functional medicine altered the impact of his brain injuries.
- Why he co-founded the Warrior Angels Foundation and wrote his best selling book with his brother Adam.
- How Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is now recognized as a causative factor for hormonal deficiencies associated with personality changes based upon changes in the molecular chemistry of the brain.
- The impact the foundation is having for hundreds of veterans who suffer from Traumatic Brain Injury and PTSD.
- And lastly, we go into the backstory for how he got on the Joe Rogan podcast and how that show has had such a tremendous impact.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- And much more…
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Are You a Veteran Who is Suffering From Traumatic Brain Injury or PTSD? The Warrior Angels Foundation can help.
The Warrior Angels Foundation provides answers, hope, and healing that returns proven leaders back to life by delivering brain injury prevention and care through proven nutraceuticals, personalized treatment protocols for U.S. Military Service Members and Veterans, Traumatic Brain Injury education, and research for all who are affected. WAF sponsors individualized assessments and personalized treatment protocols that pinpoint – and, more importantly, treat – the underlying condition for U.S. Service Members and Veterans who have sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) while in the line of duty.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
More About This Show On Creating a Never Quit Mentality and Finding a Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury With Andrew Marr
During our conversation, John R. Miles asks Andrew Marr about how he discovered the link between the endocrine system and Traumatic Brain Injury.
Andrew explains, “So in addition to the things that I’ve talked about, kinda with my symptomatology, exactly the same thing, my cognitive abilities start to be depleted. My memory, gone. I lost the ability to go and pull out the correct vocabulary and use them coherently. I’m talking everyday words, that I didn’t know how to use anymore. And then the physical issues started with headaches that led to migraine headaches, which went into blurry vision, and then double vision.
And then just like you, vertigo and vestibular and difficulty walking in a straight line. And, that got me to being forced to be medically retired from the Army. I was labeled with, 30 plus disabilities and every mood disorder you could think of, and neurocognitive disorder. I was put on double-digit medications. And the exact same thing that happened, and I started to go to the literature, even in my cognitively depleted and brain depleted state.
I just, I said, well, listen, man, I’ve been around a lot of explosions. And I haven’t heard anybody talk about that. So maybe there’s something to it. And I started to, on my own time, investigate and research the neuroendocrine system. And I did find there was a whole literature out there on it. And there is even literature on blast-induced injuries and how they affected the neuroendocrine system.
When I knew about the neuroendocrine system before that, zero, I probably couldn’t even tell you there were two hemispheres to the brain. But when your back up against the corner, man, you’re going to start to figure some stuff out. So when you learn about the neuro endocrine system, you say, oh, my gosh, this regulates absolutely everything in the body. If that is affected, it’s going to affect everything else downstream.
I was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but we now know that that was a downstream manifestation of having a neurotic and chronically inflamed brain that had just incredible deficiencies and inefficiencies.
I attracted some media attention, and I believe it was a Fox News or Forbes article that I was featured in. And Dr. Mark Gordon, you know, a world-famous practitioner of neuroendocrinology in the Los Angeles area, read it and contacted me, and he sent me an email.
And he was like, listen, hey, this is who I am. This is my credentials, as we’ve been doing with TBI, you know, here are some media that I’ve done. And one of those specifically was a podcast he sent me with another veteran that was on Joe Rogan’s podcast, I listened to that podcast, John, and just like it was you hearing somebody as if they were talking solely about you, it was the exact same thing with me.”
Thanks, Andrew Marr!
If you enjoyed this session with Andrew Marr, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending her a quick shout out at Facebook:
And if you want us to answer your questions or you have a topic you would like John to discuss on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]
- 0:00 Introduction to Andrew Marr
- 3:49 How John and Andrew first met 7:02
- The Green Beret mission and how it differs
- 12:48 Why Andrew became a Green Beret
- 15:54 Health impacts from his 2013 Afghanistan Tour
- 27:11 What led Andrew to find his own cure for his TBI
- 34:49 How he discovered an endocrine link to Traumatic Brain Injury
- 42:30 Why he founded the Warrior Angels Foundation
- 49:07 How he became a guest on Joe Rogan Experience
- 52:34 The foundation’s treatment program
- 58:17 Suicide awareness
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Check out John’s past episode on Stop Hiding Your Authentic Self. Catch up with Episode 88.
Are you having trouble prioritizing your time? John discusses the I Don’t Have Time Syndrome in Episode 27.
Is the Hustle Culture is Making You Miserable? John explores this in-depth in Episode 70.
Suppose you missed our interview with world-renown fitness guru Christina Sparks on how to turn your passion for giving into a business. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
Catch the episode I did with Dr. Michael Lewis who is an expert on treating Traumatic Brain Injury and one of the providers at the Warrior Angels Foundation. You can find the episode here.
About This Episode’s Guest retired Green Beret Andrew Marr
Andrew Marr, MBA is a husband, father, Retired Special Forces Green Beret, Warrior Angels Foundation cofounder, and the best-selling co-author of TALES FROM THE BLAST FACTORY: A Brain Injured Special Forces Green Beret’s Journey Back from the Brink. His book has been turned into an award-winning full feature documentary titled Quiet Explosions: Healing the Brain by EMMY and Academy Award winners. Andrew lives with his wife Becky the love of his life and their seven children in the Houston area.
Connect With John R. Miles
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMILES
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/JohnMiles
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast
John R. Miles is a globally recognized high-performance coach, life and business strategist, military veteran, and one of the most-watched quoted and followed personal growth trainers globally. John is a highly sought-after speaker, coach, author and makes frequent media appearances to discuss how to transition from being passion struck to becoming PASSION STRUCK! He is passionate about being the catalyst who helps individuals expand into the most excellent version of themselves, unlocking the most legendary life possible.