It is so easy to fall into the trap of materialism. The attraction is all around us. But it is now believed that by minimizing attachment to material possessions, you naturally allow more room for happiness and abundance to flow into your life, instead of greed, apathy, and ego.
John explains how he fell into the materialism trap and why it eventually led to depression, anxiety, apathy, and a failure to live intentionally. He goes into the psychology of materialism and how social media and the people we surround ourselves with influence our beliefs and behaviors. He discusses in this video why you need to focus on the intangibles in life if you want to have success, happiness, and good health.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@john_r_miles) takes your requests for topics on Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
On This Week’s Passion Struck Podcast, John R. Miles Discusses Why Materialism is Hindering Your Success and Hapiness
- Why materialism and why the pursuit of tangibles instead of life’s intangibles is undermining your success, health, and happiness..
- Why the people all around us negatively influence our behaviours and what we base success on in our lives.
- What is the psychology of materialism causing us to live in a world where so many people become hardened and depressed.
- Why symbolic self-completion is one of the main causes of the trap of materialism.
- What are some of the main influences on consumerism and the impact it is having on society.
- The Importance of the intangible things in life.
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here – even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us so we can thank you personally!
- 0:00 Show Introduction
- 2:52 The rise of consumerism
- 6:00 The psychology of materialism
- 8:24 Symbolic Self-Completion
- 9:48 The role social media plays
- 11:51 The importance of intangible things
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Instead of membership fees or paywalls, we use advertising to keep The Passion Struck Podcast free for all listeners. Every time you click a sponsored link or use a coupon code, you’re helping grow the show and our goal of helping people worldwide regain their passion and live a no regrets life.
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
RESOURCES FROM THE SHOW ON THE TRAP OF MATERIALISM
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
*The High Price of Materialism by Tim Kasser
*The 5 am Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life.
* The American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty by David G. Myers
Check out John’s past episode on how to avoid living a pinball life. Catch up with Episode 25.
Are you having trouble prioritizing your time? John discusses the I Don’t Have Time Syndrome in Episode 27.
Is the Hustle Culture is Making You Miserable? John explores this in-depth in Episode 70.
Suppose you missed our interview with Nathalie Plamondon-Thomas On How To Improve Your Inner Self-Confidence. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is a globally recognized high-performance coach, life and business strategist, military veteran, and one of the most-watched quoted and followed personal growth trainers globally. John is a highly sought-after speaker, coach, author and makes frequent media appearances to discuss how to live intentionally by being our authentic self! He is passionate about being the catalyst who helps individuals expand into the most excellent version of themselves, unlocking the most legendary life possible.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* About: https://johnrmiles.com/my-story/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/John_RMiles
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck