When we think of playing, we hark back to our childhood days of messing around on the beach, playing tag at recess, or spending hours with dolls or toys. However, we often fail to realize the importance of play as an adult.
As we grow older, we seem to lose that willingness to play. We often give up play as adults for more serious pursuits such as our careers, our relationships, and our families—all of which are valid pursuits. However, the lack of play can actually be detrimental to our ability to lead others, maintain meaningful relationships, and parent our children.
In this episode of the Passion Struck podcast, John R. Miles talks about why adult play is vital to your mental and physical health as well as your spiritual growth. Peter Gray, a research professor of psychology at Boston College, says, “Play primarily evolved to teach children all kinds of skills, and its extension into adulthood may have helped to build cooperation and sharing among hunter-gathers beyond the level that would naturally exist in a dominance-seeking species.” In other words, for our earliest ancestors, play wasn’t just about adding fun to their lives, it may have been a way of keeping the peace, which was critical for survival.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@john_r_miles) takes your requests for topics on Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now let’s dive in!
On This Week’s Momentum Friday, John Discusses the Importance of Play as an Adult:
- The benefits of play in children and its impact on their physical, mental, moral, and spirtual development.
- Why the lack of adult play is actually detremental to our success in life.
- Why play as an adult is an important means of reducing stress and contributing to overall well-being.
- Why it is normal to feel uncomfortable at first finding what type of play brings you joy.
- The benefits that play as an adult will have on your life.
- Examples of famous people who conduct adult play that you may recognize.
- How to start implementing play as an adult
- and so much more!!!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at [email protected]m!
- Connect with John on Twitter at @John_RMiles and Instagram at @John_R_Miles.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic. For existing listeners, you can also browse starter packs to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews fascinating high achievers at the top of their game. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles/.
New Interviews with the World’s GREATEST high achievers will be posted every Tuesday with a Momentum Friday inspirational message!
RESOURCES FROM THE SHOW THAT WILL ASSIST YOU IN YOUR PURSUIT OF PLAY AS AN ADULT
*How to Ask for Advice: https://youtu.be/EAbe2LweM90
*The Power of Choice: https://youtu.be/Btipq-S07Eg
Miss our interview with Shawn Springs, a former NFL Pro Bowl Cornerback and CEO of Windpat? Catch up with episode 73: Shawn Springs | How to Stay Grounded in Life!
If you missed our interview with Navy SEAL Dan O’Shea on how he saved a family of 14 from certain death in Afghanistan. Don’t panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
ABOUT JOHN R. MILES
* Guides: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Coaching: https://passionstruck.com/coaching/
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283