Welcome to another inspiring episode of the Passion Struck Podcast! In this episode, I embark on a captivating journey to delve into the profound concept of the power of “Mattering” and its far-reaching impact on our lives. Mattering is not just a word; it’s an elemental human yearning that weaves its intricate threads into the tapestry of our shared human experience.
Imagine a world where your presence goes unnoticed, where you feel isolated, unimportant, and disconnected. Now, envision the opposite—a reality where you matter deeply to those around you and where your actions bring positive change. Which would you prefer? Undoubtedly, the latter.
In this episode, we explore the profound concept of mattering, its significance, and the transformative power it holds in various aspects of life. We’ll be sharing the inspiring story of Linda Cliatt-Wayman, who used mattering to rescue a failing school. Join us as we unravel the intricate layers of this essential human experience and learn how to empower mattering for everyone.
Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, which will be released on February 6, 2024.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Listen Notes, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube below.
And in case you didn’t already know it, John R. Miles (@John_R_Miles) takes your comments and questions for Momentum Friday right here every week! If you want him to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of
our upcoming weekly Momentum Friday episodes, drop us a line at [email protected]. Now, let’s dive in!
the Power of Mattering: The Importance of Having Significance
In this episode of the Passion Struck podcast, we embark on a profound journey into the power of “mattering.” Mattering goes beyond mere recognition; it speaks to the deep human need to feel valued and important to others. It encompasses attention, importance, dependence, and appreciation, weaving a tapestry of significance in our lives.
The episode features a compelling real-life story of high school principal Linda Cliatt-Wayman, who harnessed the power of mattering to transform a failing school. Her approach emphasized personal responsibility, “So what? Now what?” problem-solving, and the daily affirmation that her students mattered.
We delve into how mattering is influenced by socio-structural factors, such as social identity, media representation, education, economic systems, legal and political systems, and cultural norms. The podcast highlights the consequences of lacking mattering, including self-destructive behaviors, and stresses the importance of enabling mattering for everyone.
The episode provides a comprehensive guide to empowering mattering, including cultivating inclusive spaces, active listening, equal opportunities, recognizing and celebrating contributions, promoting kindness and inclusion, emphasizing collective empowerment, and educating on mental health and well-being.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- What “mattering” truly means and its profound significance in our lives.
- The four essential components of mattering: attention, importance, dependence, and appreciation.
- The inspiring story of high school principal Linda Cliatt-Wayman and how she harnessed mattering to transform a failing school.
- How socio-structural factors, including social identity, media representation, education, and more, influence our perception of mattering.
- The consequences of lacking mattering, including self-destructive behaviors, and why enabling mattering is crucial for everyone.
- A comprehensive guide to empowering mattering in your life and the lives of those around you.
- The remarkable power of mattering in forging a path towards collective prosperity and positive change.
This comprehensive approach not only liberates you from the constraints of the Savior Complex but also paves the way for healthier relationships and personal growth.
Please Scroll Down For Featured Resources
Thank You To Our Sponsors: More Info At PassionStruck.Com/Deals.
Thank You, Indeed, For Sponsoring
With Indeed, you can search for millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career. With tools for job search, resumes, company reviews, and more.
Head to https://www.indeed.com/passionstruck, where you can receive a $75 credit to attract, interview, and hire in one place.
Thank You, One Skin, For Sponsoring
Change how your skin ages with the help of OneSkin. All OneSkin Topical Supplements are formulated with OS-01, the first ingredient scientifically proven to reverse skin’s biological age at the molecular level. Use the code PASSIONSTRUCK to get 15% off your order.
*Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
Check Out The Improveit Podcast With Host Erin Diehl: CLICK HERE.
Join Erin every Wednesday as she speaks with personal and professional development gurus about the things that make this life pesky and beautiful!
New to the show? These Starter Packs are collections of our most popular episodes grouped by topic, and we now have them also on Spotify. You can also browse starter packs for existing listeners to find your old favorites. Every week, John interviews everyday heroes from all walks of life. Learn how to subscribe to the show and never miss a new episode and topic.
Like this? Please subscribe and join me on my new YouTube platform for peak performance, life coaching, and personal growth.
Mattering Matters: The Essential Element of a Meaningful Life
In today’s episode, I’ve explored the profound concept of mattering and its transformative impact on our lives. I’ve delved into the intricate threads of what it means to truly matter and how it can shape our sense of purpose and belonging. Now, let’s take a moment to see how my new book “Passion Struck: Twelve Powerful Principles to Unlock Your Purpose and Ignite Your Most Intentional Life” aligns with these powerful insights.
At its core, mattering can be defined as the deep-seated need to feel important and valued by others. It encompasses the desire to be recognized, appreciated, and respected for who we are and for the contributions we make to the lives of those around us.
Mattering is not limited to individual recognition; it extends to our collective yearning for a sense of belonging and purpose within our families, communities, and society at large.
The Void of Absence
The absence of mattering creates a void—an emptiness that pervades every aspect of our lives. It is in this void that meaning eludes us, leaving us adrift in a sea of indifference and insignificance. Here’s why the void of not mattering is so profoundly impactful:
- Emotional Desolation: When we don’t feel like we matter to others, emotional desolation sets in. We experience a deep sense of loneliness and isolation, which erode our emotional well-being.
- Existential Emptiness: The void of not mattering gives rise to existential questions. We grapple with the meaning of our existence, wondering if our lives have any significance at all.
- Lost Purpose: Without mattering, we lose our sense of purpose. We drift through life without a clear direction, lacking the motivation to pursue our goals and dreams.
- Deteriorating Relationships: The void of not mattering strains our relationships. It fosters resentment and detachment, leading to fractured connections with family, friends, and colleagues.
- Diminished Self-Worth: Our self-esteem takes a hit when we don’t matter. We begin to question our worth, which can lead to self-doubt and a lack of self-confidence.
- Society at Odds: On a broader scale, a society where individuals don’t feel like they matter is marked by disengagement, apathy, and social unrest. It’s a society where the bonds of community and collective purpose weaken.
Awakening the Meaningful Life
In Passion Struck, I explain why, to find meaning in life, we must confront the void of not mattering. Recognizing the profound impact of mattering on our emotional well-being, our relationships, and our society as a whole is the first step toward filling this void.
- Personal Relationships: Nurturing meaningful connections with family, friends, and loved ones is crucial. By recognizing the significance of these relationships, we can break free from the void of not mattering.
- Education: In educational settings, fostering an environment where students feel valued and recognized is paramount. It’s a way to ensure that young minds don’t fall victim to the void.
- Workplace: Employers and colleagues should acknowledge and appreciate each other’s contributions. It’s in these workplaces that we can negate the void and build a sense of purpose.
- Community and Society: On a broader scale, we must promote civic engagement and community involvement. When individuals believe that their voices matter, they become proactive agents of positive change.
Resources From The Show “Why We All Crave to Matter: Exploring the Power of Mattering”
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Passion Struck podcast receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you so much for being so supportive!
Transcript from the episode: https://johnrmiles.com/break-free-from-the-savior-complex/
- American Psychological Association (APA) – Resources on resilience and coping: apa.org
- Greater Good Magazine – Science-based articles on well-being and resilience: greatergood.berkeley.edu
- Explore this New York Times article on why mattering is vital.
- Psychology Today – Articles on mental health, resilience, and personal growth: psychologytoday.com
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates on new episodes, guest interviews, and exclusive content designed to help you become the best version of yourself.
- Follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to join our passionate community and stay connected with like-minded individuals seeking personal growth and inspiration.
- Share this episode with your friends, family, and colleagues who could benefit from learning how to break free from the savior complex. Spread the power of personal growth and helping others by first potentializing from within.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, to let us know how this episode resonated with you and to help others
- Want to learn the 12 philosophies that the most successful people use to create a limitless life? Pre-order John R. Miles’s new book, Passion Struck, which will be released on February 6, 2024.
My solo episode on Emotional Mastery: Unleashing The Power Of Emotion Regulation Techniques: https://passionstruck.com/emotion-regulation-techniques/
Watch my interview with Jennifer B. Wallace On The Consequences Of Prioritizing Achievements Over Mattering: https://passionstruck.com/jennifer-b-wallace-achievements-mattering/
Catch my interview with Jason Kander On The Journey To Post-Traumatic Growth And Community Building: https://passionstruck.com/jason-kander-journey-to-post-traumatic-growth/
My solo episode on The 6 Key Steps To Bold Risk-Taking For Personal Growth: https://passionstruck.com/6-key-steps-to-bold-risk-taking/
About John R. Miles
John R. Miles is an internationally acclaimed authority on the dynamics of intentional behavior change, leadership, personal mastery, and veteran support. As the visionary founder and CEO of PASSION STRUCK®, a renowned media conglomerate, he commands a substantial social media presence and garners tens of millions of annual views across his captivating podcasts and YouTube channels. The “Passion Struck with John R. Miles” podcast has achieved record-breaking success, consistently ranking as the foremost alternative health podcast on iTunes. Additionally, John is on the verge of unveiling his eagerly anticipated book, “Passion Struck,” scheduled for publication in early 2024.
Follow John R. Miles On The Socials
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to better, live better, and impact the world.
Passion Struck is now on the Brushwood Media Network every Monday and Friday from 5-6 PM.
Step 1: Go to TuneIn, Apple Music (or any other app, mobile or computer)
Step 2: Search for “Brushwood Media” Network
Passion Struck’s mission is to unlock the power of intentionality for the benefit of us all. To create a world where we live better, be better, and impact the world through our unique and powerful content.