In this week’s episode of the Passion Struck Podcast, John R. Miles discusses why humility is vital to your success and how do you practice intellectual humility. Many see a version of themselves that is far better looking, more successful, and more highly regarded than they truly are. And, that is the danger when we are taught to cling to and take pride in our own identity. This is where we creep into having an ego problem, and pride becomes our vice.
Thank you for listening to the Passion Struck podcast. Like this? Please subscribe, and join me on my YouTube channel for personal growth and life coaching: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles.
“The danger is this: when we are being taught to be highly sensitive to others’ identities, we are also implicitly being told to cling to and take pride in our own identity. This is where the danger creeps in. Pride is a vice.”Thomas Horton
Why Is Practicing Intellectual Humility Important?
One of the vital aspects of intellectual humility is valuing others and hearing what they have to say. To do this, you must understand the other person’s emotional state and the intentions behind their words and actions. Doing so allows us to understand their feelings and will enable us to receive valuable feedback. Making intellectual humility a potent attribute to obtain will help you build strong relationships both in your career and personal life.
“I find intellectual humility is one of the most underrated and undervalued virtues, but one that most outstanding leaders possess.”John R. Miles
When we embrace intellectual humility, we recognize that our own perspectives will always be limited. This recognition leaves us well-positioned to gain knowledge from peers, partners, or family and learn from their guidance. In turn, by understanding the limits of one’s acumen, including being sensitive to the circumstances in which one’s pride and ego function self-deceptively, we can grow more sensitive to biases, prejudices, and limitations of one’s viewpoint.
Here are additional topics from past podcasts that were mentioned in the show:
- The Art of Diplomacy: https://youtu.be/9tbB0dWDlSQ
- Acting with Tact: https://johnrmiles.com/the-bold-skill-of-being-tactful/
- Why We Should Stop Playing Small: https://passionstruck.com/your-playing-small-serves-no-one/
- How the Ego Holds us Back: https://youtu.be/s6gir0jNAwI
Practice Intellectual Humility Show Notes
- Thomas Horton Quote
- Why do others perceive us differently than we perceive ourselves
- John tells a personal story of learning how to practice intellectual humility the hard way
- Letting ego get the best of us
- Why it’s hard to foster intellectual humility
- How you can recognize if you are not practicing intellectual humility
- Why being humble is underrated
- 4 ways you can practice intellectual humility
- What happens when we don’t practice intellectual humility
QUOTES BY JOHN R. MILES
ENGAGE WITH JOHN R. MILES
* Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Leave a comment, 5-star rating (please!)
* Support me: https://johnrmiles.com
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Johnrmiles.c0m.
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
JOHN R. MILES
* Guides: https://johnrmiles.com/blog/
* Coaching: https://passionstruck.com/coaching/
*Subscribe to Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-passion-struck-podcast/id1553279283